Day 7 after foot fracture

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all... after falling from low level stairs last week , I've managed to fracture the top of my foot. I've since had appointment with Fracture Clinic & I'm currently wearing a lovely fashionable support boot for the foreseeable future. I know it's only early days - but did anyone else have extreme pain first thing in the morning when you put foot down? (in boot). It's manageable after about 10-15 steps... but those first few are horrible.. and I don't want to do any other damage 😔 Hope this heals soon... I hate being so helpless... especially living alone. I've also got a new job to start in 4 weeks. Thank you 👍

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi smigger15,

Sorry to hear about what happened, I hope you're able to recover quickly.

I'm not a medical expert, but I believe it could go two ways. First, your foot could be stiff from not moving it. Second, it may be painful because its fractured and could be causing further damage. From my experience, just because the pain is less, doesn't mean walking more is harmless. I'm pretty sure a doctor would advise to limit walking (if possible). However, if you've gone to the doctor and they gave you this boot to wear, whatever you're experiencing is probably normal. You can always give the clinic a follow-up call and ask this question.

I can sympathize with you as I was recently injured and also live alone. I'm 26 and was in my first car accident. I was rear ended and sent into oncoming traffic. I'm happy to be alive, I should have been killed, paralyzed, or severely injured. After the accident, I collected a few things and exited my vehicle. (I only have a fractured vertebrae in my back!

I hope you have a speedy recovery. Congrats on the new job!

image.)image

• Posted

Hi John, thank you for your reply.... OMG.. how lucky were you? That could of been so much worse... someone's definitely looking after you! thank goodness. I'm just going to hobble when necessary... I really need to keep my feet up... think I'm just too impatient for this horrible pain to stop.. painkillers only take edge off it - its only a week since I did it... I'm more upset at not being able to attend watching my beloved Liverpool Football Club... lol.. Get well soon John... take care x

• Posted

i am 14 weeks out and back to nursing and i fractured my fifth metatarsal every morning it hurts until about 10 steps. it hurts after sitting for a while then trying to walk too! sorry to be a bearer of bad news!! ibprofen helps

• Posted

Thanks Ashley.... hope we both feel better soon 😁 I'll stock up on Ibuprofen....

• Posted

Hi smigger15,

Sorry to hear about your foot.

While my accident was a little different along with break (hit by a falling tree, 3 breaks in the ankle resulting in pins and plates) about 18 months ago, I can only share what I was told.

After months in casts I was given the boot and the surgeon said I needed to walk on it to get the strength back and blood flowing. I didn't at first through fear but my physio made me (she was excellent I needed the push (anxiety is a terrible thing 😭 ) and I found exactly what you said, the first 10 to 20 steps hurt but it gradually went away and as ashley1017 said it was the same after sitting for a bit.

I would have thought that if they are happy for you to have the boot I would have though a little and often, although I am not a medial person either but just my thoughts on my experience.

Although I wouldn't suggest going mad, I have heard of poeple who took more and more drugs because the pain got worse but as john73232 said they were causing further damage so balance is the key!

I hope it recovers quickly in time for your new job and I wish you a speedy recovery!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Freddy, much appreciated. Not good is it? Never mind... as you say, little & often is probably best to keep the blood flowing & enhance the healing process.Hopefully I'll be recovered enough to at least start my new job 😁

• Posted

So.. update... I'm now coming up to 4 weeks from my accident & 3 weeks with this boot on... I've tried to get around as much as I can & have slept bootless for the last couple of nights (with foot out of the bed!). I ventured out today with one crutch and managed it very slowly... BUT I'm paying for it tonight - my ankle is burning so think I may have overdone it.. Going to rest up tomorrow as much as possible.. fed up being like this... 😦

• Posted

Broke my 5th metatarsal 3 - 4 months ago just stepping off the pavement. First fracture ever. It seems I have been lucky compared to others. It was an uncomplicated fracture and not much pain, just a bit of discomfort & ache. I even walked after breaking it & drove to A & E. It was my left foot and as I drive an automatic I was still able to travel out on my own but obviously not walk too far once I got out. No crunches needed or provided but I had a boot from the hospital & I wore that for a couple of months only. I think it helped and aided healing. Hoping to get back to playing some badminton again in the near future.

Wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.