Day 7 following revision

Posted , 6 users are following.

well,it's been a week since my revision op and I am pleased to announce that I,and my new knee,are doing well! I am moving,sleeping( in my normal position) and coping well. It hurts like hell but having done this once before seems to help me cope better. The surgeon is very pleased with the result telling me the old  joint was misaligned and definitely needed to be replaced! He says he's very excited to show me the "before and after " X-rays at my first follow up appointment.

After such a hard slog to get someone to listen to me things seem to be getting easier.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That's great news, Nicky.  Well done.

You sound like you have been through the mill too.

Just be careful if your 'normal sleeping position' involves bending that knee (like mine does).  I had excess scar tissue removed in Sept, 'cause my knee had got so bent, and am having problems keeping it straight again now.  Back to hard work (and pain) with the physio.

All the best to you, and hope you continue to make great strides!

Patsy

• Posted

Thank you for your support,Patsy. With my initial TKR,I had to sleep sitting up in bed for weeks however,from the first night I used my normal side lying with a pillow between the legs and knees slightly bent knees.
  • Posted

fantastic nicky so pleased for you . having had a myself its a hard decision but it has to be done no alternative ,so it makes it all the more sweet when you get the result you wanted .as i said before they really dont know for sure till they have you on the table and cut open the scar to see the problem ,great he listened and did it for you .did you have rods put in  ?? like patsyrose says make sure you dont get obsessed with the bend keep straightening it too as mine is not fully straight and it causes its own problems .enjoy christmas and a good future in 2016
    • Posted

Thank you for your support,Linda. Yes,I do have rods in my thigh boneAND shin bone....in fact I surfaced from the sedation to see,and feel,the surgeon hammering the thigh rod in! Ido not have any problems with straitening the leg,in fact,sometimes it feels like the knee is going to go too far back!

Happy Christmas and healthy New Year to you and yours,also!

• Posted

Wonderful news Nicky - I saw my before & after x-rays when I had my 6 weeks check-up with the surgeon a week ago, the difference is unbelievable, as well as the misalignment & looseness, the old one was much larger than the new one - although I now have a prosthesis with a post between the femur & tibia instead of my ligaments, which is a shame. Because I knew what to expect, I've coped much better too, & I'm already trying to get off the harder medication. For the 1st time in over a year, I had my 2 little grandchildren stay this Friday & Saturday - we've just taken them home to their mum - I could only cope with one night over the past year due to non-movement & constant pain. It can only get better for all of us going through revisions! Have a better Christmas than the last two - I'm sure we'll all be on the forum at some time or other over the festivities!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.