Day 7 post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Wow I did it so far so good 18 inches removed no more diverticulitis.

They get you up and moving the next day. Kinda did a little to much walking yesterday  for the fourth boy I feel  it in my legs. Little constipated can  anyone give me some answers about stool softeners and how many or any other advice about what would help with that. Thanks 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi theresmile!! Thanks for sharing your experience! Please continue to as I'm getting mine next Tuesday! Any tips that you can give me for the 4 day hospital stay after or pain management? For stool softeners I use colace..As far as natural ones..that's a tough one. I wouldn't want to consume something that could cause distress..I hope someone else can post who has had experience with that after surgery to help you. Keep up the good recovery!!

• Posted

Main thing for me was getting up and walking around the hospital you need to move even if u don’t feel like it. Also make sure they take care of u when u need pain meds cause you keeping the pain under control is important . I take nothing for pain now and I’m going on day 8.
  • Posted

Good for you! You'll notice if not immediately but in the next couple days the diverticulitis symptoms start going away, like the nausea and pain. I had to walk a few hours after my surgery. Now that you're done, stay on the soft diet for at least 6 weeks, eat in moderation. I was told I could eat anything that I wanted...not true. You have to get your insides more healed. I'm 8 weeks post OP and getting better everyday, down to 1 pain killer a day, only if needed. I've been slowly reintroducing foods I hadn't eaten in 2 years, again in moderation like salads, tender steak (small), melons, but still stay away from corn, nuts and tomatoes. Always walk after eating, pace yourself and set goals.....don't go crazy lifting,bending, or stretching because you feel good. Your insides still need to heal. I learned the hard way and ended up back in bed , full on pain killers. Wear the waist band, especially if you are in a car.....believe me your incision and seat belt don't go well together. Good luck and remember you had major surgery. It takes time to heal and get your strength back.

• Posted

Also I was told to drink metamucil (1) a day and milk of magnesium. I usually take the milk of magnesium in the morning, wait until I have a bowel movement, eat breakfast then drink the metamucil, and take a probiotic.
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing all of the details. I am going for a surgery on July 31 and all of your advices are very helpful. I am scared, this is my first surgery and I am 52 years old.
    • Posted

It depends on which type of surgery you're having. Mine was open cut so recovery time is longer than lapriscopic. I also had other complications but no matter what you'll be in the best hands and place possible. The pain was intense but always remember you'll no longer have the diverticulitis symptoms and restrictions. Walk as much as you can, drink a lot of water (when you're able). Just follow the advice I gave Paveman about when you get home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.