Day 8 on citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay so some of you may know day 5-7 on citalopram I couldn’t shake the word cancer out of my head. Now today I seem to look at people and think hate towards them. I don’t personally hate them even the people I like. Is this normal and will it subside? X

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Honestly it's nothing to worry about!

The serotonin levels are presumably trying to find the sweet spot so you'll be a bit unbalanced for a bit. Hopefully it will subside and you will see results soon smile

• Posted

Thank you so much, I fell overall generally better it’s just my mind going into overdrive. I feel at ease that it’s not just me and there’s a reason behind it. Thank you again for reassurance x
    • Posted

No problem. I'm going through the struggle as well, so if you ever want to personal message me, go ahead!

• Posted

As I said before once your body gets used to them you'll be fine. You seriously need to read up on this stuff.

Adverse effects

Sexual dysfunction is often a side effect with SSRIs. Specifically, common side effects include difficulty becoming aroused, lack of interest in sex, and anorgasmia (trouble achieving orgasm). One study showed, however, when remission of major depressive disorder is achieved, quality of life and sexual satisfaction is reported to be higher in spite of sexual side effects.

Citalopram theoretically causes side effects by increasing the concentration of serotonin in other parts of the body (e.g., the intestines). Other side effects, such as increased apathy and emotional flattening, may be caused by the decrease in dopamine release associated with increased serotonin. Citalopram is also a mild antihistamine, which may be responsible for some of its sedating properties.:104

Common side effects of citalopram include drowsiness, insomnia, nausea, weight changes (usually weight gain), increase in appetite, vivid dreaming, frequent urination, decreased sex drive, anorgasmia, dry mouth, increased sweating, trembling, diarrhea, excessive yawning, severe tinnitus, and fatigue. Less common side effects include bruxism, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmia, blood pressure changes, dilated pupils, anxiety, mood swings, headache, and dizziness. Rare side effects include convulsions, hallucinations, severe allergic reactions and photosensitivity. If sedation occurs, the dose may be taken at bedtime rather than in the morning. Some data suggest citalopram may cause nightmares.

Withdrawal symptoms can occur when this medicine is suddenly stopped, such as paraesthesiae, sleeping problems (difficulty sleeping and intense dreams), feeling dizzy, agitated or anxious, nausea, vomiting, tremors, confusion, sweating, headache, diarrhea, palpitations, changes in emotions, irritability, and eye or eyesight problems. Treatment with citalopram should be reduced gradually when treatment is finished.

Citalopram and other SSRIs can induce a mixed state, especially in those with undiagnosed bipolar disorder.

• Posted

Thank you, I did read up on the link you sent me yesterday. This is the first time I have taken antidepressants so I just wanted reassurance from people that have been through the same or if people are experiencing the same. Instead of reading a bible. If that make sense x
    • Posted

Yes those side effects will lesson..the Bible response is so funny...take care
    • Posted

For your information I had everything you posted before celexa..celexa took it all way....with exception of the sexual thing..still have that...every one is different nobody's body the same...so what's good for the goose may not be good for the gander...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.