Day One (Champix).

Posted , 6 users are following.

So today I swallowed my first morning Champix tablet., I got them from my GP 3 days ago,. but had a real mind battle before making that 1st move.,I have smoked for 50 years,. this as taken a big toll on my Health & pocket,..hopefully now I have come to my senses to quit this awful habit,,my life can take on more meaning..

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, good luck with the tablets, I would suggest keeping a diary to document how you feel, there are some side effect (not everyone will get them) I used them years ago and stopped for 3 months only. I'm on the e-cigs now and think i've finaly kicked the habit. As Debbie03785 says take it a day at a time.
    • Posted

TY for your good wishes,.the diary is deffo a good idea.,I did try the ecig route,but did not care for them,so this was short lived,,,Hope the Meds are the way to go.,,good luck with your abstinence,..It does not matter how we achieve the result as long as we reach the goal.,,,
  • Posted

Hi Doglover,

I took Champix back in March and here are my thoughts.

The first week you start Champix, cigarettes will taste different. Not bad, not good, just off. Then comes the higher dose. The first few weeks on the higher dose were rough, I was so sleepy all the time. I could hardly keep my eyes open at work. I slept all weekend. I thought about stopping the tablets, but I percevered. Stay with it, as your body does adjust.

After I got used to the higher dose, cigarettes started to be a turn off, I had no pleasure from smoking anymore. That nicotine hit straight after dinner was no longer pleasurable. It was a very nothing experience. That coupled with the change in taste just meant that naturally one day I had my last cigarette. I don't remember what day it was, or the exact date. I just remember that cigarettes no longer did it for me.

I didn't quite finish the pack, nearly, but not quite. I know that I am a few bad decisions away from being a smoker again, and this is the thought that stops me from lighting up when I am feeling weak. I have to say that honestly I do not think aout smoking on a daily basis. The only time I have a hankering to smoke is perhaps when I am having a glass of wine. It is just a thought at the back of my mind, rather than a compulsion to light up. I find it leaves my mind really quickly, as I know as soon as I do light up again, I am back to the start, and thats somewhere I don't want to be.

• Posted

TY for taking me on your journey with Champix,. this was really helpful,. gives me a little insight into how they work & courage to deal with any nasty side effects,. Good to hear you have been succesful in breaking the habit,..
  • Posted

I forgot to add that I developed strep throat three weeks after stopping smoking. I was on antibiotics for a week and it cleared up. I hear that this is quite a common side effect of stopping smoking, as all the bacteria and toxins are leaving your body.
  • Posted

Hi I have smoked for 37 years and recently gave up smokes on Champix and literally went through hell and back - I saw a friend the other day and I said I havent smoked for 4 months Oh she said that's great news but do you know I just wanted to try one to see if what people have said to me that if you have one you will start again.  I haven't  but I could and would advise not to go there as I am having a little aggitationbattle with myself wondering if I do want to smoke again - Has anybody else been in this position ?   
    • Posted

Almost daily! Resist, it will pass. I just say to myself that I dont smoke any more. Its much more tempting if Ive had a drink, so avoiding that too! Stay strong! X
  • Posted

I have just read your reply, I havent thought about smoking and find it quite staggering that I havent smoked for almost 5 months and the only way I did it was through sheer determination I was not going to smoke anymore and champix which was hell during and after using it - I dont smoke and I am never going to look back.  As for drinking that too has depleted now - goodness what  a transformation - just like you feel great for not being dependent on smokes anymore and never again and healthier in everyway - Feeling very blessd smile  Hope your feeling good too smile
    • Posted

I have very little willpower and could not believe that Champix would work. I had some side effects, but wow, they worked liked flippin magic. Over a year now, and like you, never going back there! 
    • Posted

Me to very little will power but for some reason - I really had had it with smokes always had to wear a large handbag to fit them in.  On the way out can we stop off to get some smokes - standing outside work like a lemon looking at a smelly tin full of butts  - standing outside at home in the rain - what a complete waste of my life - onwards and upwards never going back and that includes drink as well - If you dont change you keep getting the same result and I wanted to see a new result smile keep strong x
    • Posted

Yeh, I remember when the Scottish government banned smoking in pubs, I was furious. Im trying hard not to look back at how I battered my body and bank balance. Vodka is not the same without fags, so the voddie has gone too! Now if Im considering buying something, my rationale is .....well I spent that in a wee on fags! X
    • Posted

When you talk about vodka were you a heavy drinker as well?  - Totally the same as you I have been putting my no smoking money way but have bought somethings for the house - I have loved seeing £7 go in a pot every day and I am going to do the same with not drinking as well Deb and then I can decide on what to buy next and just think how much better I am financially healhier and without a bad head xx

• Posted

Never a heavy drinker, but loved a few vodkas on a night out. Hardly drink at all now, cant bear the hangover, and I do think there would be a huge temptation to smoke. Never going there again!! Xx
    • Posted

Sounds like we are on the same track - No Smoking No drinking days are over and finally financially healthier on both accounts smilexx

• Posted

Spot on. Feel Ive done it and got the t shirt, but did have lots of fun. X
    • Posted

Good stuff - Feel I have cracked it to - fun not such fun but all the past now moving on is good xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.