Day one: Sertraline

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been prescribed 50mg Sertraline, 25mg a day for the first week then onto 50mg a day.

I suffer with generalised anxiety disorder and acrophobia.

I am nervous about the side effects that seem to be mentioned by everyone for the first few weeks but also excited by the positive comments people make around the 4week point

Hoping for a life with very little anxiety but Let's see how this goes

Good luck to everyone

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI there

Just remember that everyone gets side effects to different degrees. You have been started off on a low dose to settle your body in. 

Try to stay positive and find ways to distract yourself, so even if you do feel a little ''off'' you have a book, film, get some fresh air, whatever to make you feel a bit better. The owrse thing is focusing on side effects / waiting for something to happen, as the chances are they will - the mind is a strong force to be reckoned with.

By week 3/4 you should start to notice some positive changes, just remember that everyone is diff. with what dose they need with this medication.....I took 50mg initially and needed to go to 100mg a day before I felt a real difference, and then they pushed me to 150mg, but I was in a pretty dark place. I take 100mg now and am fine on that dose. many people do well on 50mg too. If you don't notice any positive effects though by week 4 be sure to go back to your dr to see if you need to inc. your dose. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Mikey. Please try not to worry about the side effects too much. I was in the same boat as you. 7 weeks ago I started on 25mgs. The side effects were anxiety a little worse for the first week, not much of an appetite and a bit of an upset tummy. But it settles. Once you get to 50mgs after a week or so you will start to feel the difference. You won't be skipping and jumping but you will feel much better. For me I am seeing my doc tomorrow as I feel need to go up to 75 as im feeling so much better but I'm still no quiet there.

Hang in there. Take the 25, keep busy and try to forget you have taken it. Keeping busy and relaxing is key at the start . You may also find its hard to sleep but cross that bridge if it comes your way

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Mike you,

I've been on 50mg of Sertraline a day for Four weeks, and though the first week or Two I did have a couple of side effects. Like hot flushes and sweating bouts, a warm tingly sensation throughout my body and loss of appetite. But now everything seems to have settled down, though I do sweat more than I used to but the Medication is working for me. And I feel more myself, also I was told to drink Water lots of it (2lts) a day, and surprising enough it does have its benefits. I feel more balanced and refreshed, but whatever Medication we are prescribed is a hit or miss. What may work for some, may not for others, but Sertraline is a good positive for me. And I hope it is foreally you 🖒

• Posted

Hi.. I had no side affects at all and I'm on 50 mg every day, everyone is different.

Side affects will wear of after a few weeks if you do have any.

Best wishes.X

• Posted

Any update?

I am on day six and struggling.

• Posted

I am on day 7 as I missed a day on the weekend. Still on 25mg and should start to move onto 50mg today. I am going to leave it a couple of days as I had a rough weekend, attended a party where I drank quite heavily so today I feel extremely anxious today.

The first 6 days was a mix of ups and downs, I felt just as anxious as ever. I have been taking the tablets on an evening before bed. Sleep has been fine apart from waking up around 5am every morning but easily getting back to sleep. I've noticed I've struggled at work in the mornings a lot more then as the day goes on a start to feel much better and have more energy.

I will update the post in another weeks time with how week 2 goes.

• Posted

keep us posted mikey and glad to hear u are on the right track

regarding drinking alcohol, i personally found that for the first few months of taking sertraline (or other ssri's), if possible try not to drink alcohol (or if u do, don't drink too much)

then, after a couple of months of getting used to the sertraline and when the side effects have eased and you are doing well on it, you may find like me that you can drink alcohol again without any big issues (although personally i find that i am more tired the next day if i drunk alcohol the previous evening.. but that said to be honest that's a common thing anyway which people get (especially if aged 40+) regardless of if taking meds or not)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.