Daylight and RLS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I’m new to this forum. I'm 78 years old, a cardiopath, and also suffer from diabetes and high blood pressure.

I take a lot of medicines, and also suffer the restless legs syndrome (RLS) that affects my sleep too much. Some nights, I can't sleep at all.

As a retired fellow, I enjoy sleeping after lunch, once in a while, with my windows fully opened, letting the daylight come in into my bedroom. In such occasions, the RLS does not affect me at all, and I can sleep like a baby.

At night, things are quite different. After about 45 minutes of sleep, the RLS hits me and keep me awake almost all night long, what drives me crazy, and ruins my following day.

Does the daylight has anything to do with preventing RLS?

Regards,

Flores

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well, you really have made me think! Unfortunately I don't have an answer but another question. I have RLS mostly at night but I do have attacks during the day as well. I love to read before I go to sleep but I have found recently reading my kindle I get more attacks than reading a book. I have an idea that the answer to my question is related to the brain, but I can't see that with your problem. I used to love an afternoon nap but I daren't now, I live in hope that sheer exhaustion will keep the RLS at bay. I would be very interested to see if anyone has answers or suggestions for you.

• Posted

Dear lynne1953, have a nice 2018! I undestand that RLS is related to random electrical discharges from our brain, and that cure for this annoying condition is yet to be found. I'm develloping a phobia to sleep at night. Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

Hi I am 65 and have suffered rls over 25 years. Like you I can have an afternoon nap free of rls. I am also far more relaxed and sleepy in the afternoon than at night and often wish I could feel like this at bedtime instead of generally restless and plagued by the horrible symptoms in my legs. The theory of natural light affecting our brain is interesting and it would be good to have the thoughts of other sufferers. By the way I take clonazepam at bedtime which used to help but I probably would need to up my dose which I am reluctant to do.
    • Posted

Dear dianne92682, have a nice 2018. I agree with you, and hope that we get some enlightenment from others about my theory, if we can call it a theory. Regards.
  • Posted

I am new to this forum, but not to RLS.  I joined this group hoping to get some answers, I have found that eliminating sugar does help, sugar seems to trigger the creepy crawlies.  I do take meds, but during the cold winter months they are worthless.  Does anyone get Restless leg symptoms all over, e.g.,  legs, arms, hands, etc.?  My only relief is a hot bath or hot tub.  Day time can be handled, the sun goes down, it’s almost unbearable. I am exhausted,  thanks for listening.   JUDY
    • Posted

Hi Judy and welcome to the forum. What's so interesting is that nearly every person's experience with rls is so different. ..what triggers it and what helps the symptoms. I sometimes get the feelings in my buttocks and hips and I really feel for you having all over symptoms. I do hope you find some relief. No-one should have to just put up with this horrible condition. I hope you are getting help and support from your GP. Too many GPs don't know enough about the condition and the very term restless legs makes it sound trivial. Hope you find help on here. Hugs.

• Posted

Hi Judy85114,

"Day time can be handled, the sun goes down, it’s almost unbearable. I am exhausted".

That's exactly how I feel. Unfortunately, I understand that there is no cure for this condition. I had some relief taking some medications, but after awhile the organism gets used to them, and they don't work at all. I hope that the pharmaceutical industry can find the proper medication for the RLS.  I pray every night for this to happen. Meanwhile, I want you to feel better. Sorry for my English. Regards,

• Posted

Hi, Judy....I am new here also. I have had RLS for at least 30 years and have it in my arms and chest as well as my legs. My doctor has it also but just in her arms.  There are almost as many ways to cope with it as there are the number of people who have it. So be sure to watch for those things that help you as well as those things that act as a trigger. One thing that seems to make RLS much, much WORSE for EVERYONE are antihistamines and any type of medecine that are labeled PM, such as tylenol pm, and those ones. Thankfully, there are some very good prescription meds for RLS now. Usually, you can take one form for a year or so and then will need to switch to one of the others for awhile for effectiveness. I have had great luck with these meds. Best of luck !
  • Posted

I experience the same thing regarding daylight.

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.