DAYWALKERS UPDATE

Posted , 8 users are following.

Afternoon guys, i went back to the hospital yesterday to see the nurse that took my staples out all 38 of them. This is my 3rd week at home now, i had my op a month ago today. At this time a month ago i was on that table. The nurse looked at it cleaned it, she pinched around the  1 tiny hole from my staple where i i have been leaking from and nothing  came out of it,  she put and Iodine patch on me and a gauze over that and covering which is not waterproof, so no shower. I rung yesterday and the swab they took last week came back as an infection hence being Infection. My surgeon put me on FLUCLOXACILLIN  a week tomorrow. After all the staple were out my scar and all the scars from the Staples looked great. At that time i had 7 days with no covering on it. Then one moring i stook up and it started leaking down my leg. My bottom cheek smarts when i sit in the chiar downstairs, i have raised blocks under the feet as per instructions from the Physio dept. I would imagine the infecton has gone now, i asked the nurse to take another swab but she felt it was not needed as i was already on Antibiotics. I am seeing my Surgeon tom at 5pm will keep you all infomed, if you guys want to follow me on facebook just let me know, lots of love for now Daywalker x

5 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi guys i got back from Hospital late this evening, i wanted to let you all know what i have gone through. As you all are aware of one of my staple holes were leaking for quite some time. I met with my Surgeon on Monday 15th Feb and he told me that he was bringing me back in. I found out that i had a Staf infection the first time around and he put me on it total almost 3 boxes of Flucloxacillin. I went into hospital on Tuesday 16th Feb, my Sugeon opned up all my original scar flushed it out put Antibiotics in it and Sutured me up. My dressing was changed. Then they put in on 4 lots of IV of Flucloxacillin 2mg which is much more powerful than the tablets, i think i had 8 mg, or 2mg so much to remember. He told me not to have have a shower for a week, he for some reason seemd to think that is what started all this off to which i do not believe. Have to change my dressings every 3 days the surgery are gong them, as Hubs has done and is dong so much and is back at work. I have to be on Flucloxacilling got 6 weeks and start my recovery from stratch. Which means laying on my back for weeks more, i am seeing him in 2 weeks time. I know we all have this bacteraia on us, but the staple hole just let something in that inly 1 in 100 get, and i am the 1. I will keep you all updated, and i hope you are all doing well much Hip Love Daywalker 
    • Posted

Such an unfortunate thing to have this infection. Glad it is being taken care of and sorry you are having to start recovery all over again. Sending good wishes your way, Daywalker!

• Posted

Oh I feel for you - as one in an unknown number (there are no statistics for failure to put the components in correctly), I know how that feels.

Going back to square one sucks .... bigtime.   I have just got rid of my TEDs for the second time, and hope that I won't ever have to see them again.  

The shower causing it - unlikely if you have waterproof dressings, sounds like he wants smething to blame to me, anything other than a problem of infection caused in/by the hospital.

Best wishes there, hope you have an infection-free recovery this time.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I did have a few days dressing free, then when the staple hole opend up and i had a shower that is how it could of got in. This surgeon is one of the best, he has has he told me done all he can to clean it out etc. I am OCD at home our home is sooo clean. All my work was done privately had my own private room and shower room, my goodnes that drain they put in me i had it in for 2 days, hurt like a bitch when i had to sit up on the bed and on the loo, when it came out too, but wha difference when that came out the pressure i guess. Who is to blame i don't know i did ask on here about the surutes coming out, a lady take them out all the time, she had Hip surgery and and continuous ones not sure if mine are continueous Sutures, they look horrid. i have to get the dressing changed 3 times each week at my local Surgery, the nurse gave us a couple of kits from the hospital the ones that they use with the blue gloves and cleaning solution in them so if hubs has to change them for any rason between my Nurses visits. I just want to get past this infectoin, with the amount of IV Antibiotis they put in me Flucloxacillin 4 lots 4 times a day for 3 days, i had better not have anything thing in me. I am not having a shower for a week, washes every day, oh joy, the pain of it when i have a shower-en-suite in our bedroom, i miss my showers so much i could cry x
    • Posted

Hi fellow hipsters, as you guys now i have had to back into hospital as i had a Staph infection, was in and out of the Hopital for 4 weeks, ie dressing and swab being taken. I am somewhat OCD at home but now i am 10 times worse. i  had staples in for the first op an done of the Staple holes started to leak, this went on for 4 weeks, hence having to go back into surgery my surgeon found nothing, the story is above. I went to our Doctors surgery today to get the dressing changed 7 more to go yet again, then i am going back to see my Surgeon who will take the Sutures out, i am not looking forward to that. I will keep you guys informed of my progress x
    • Posted

Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Infection can happen to anyone in any surgical procedure, no matter how hard we try to prevent it. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hi guys replying to my own blog lol. I saw my Surgon today as i had a few question to speak to him about. He asked the nurse to change my dressing, though it was only changed yesterday. He looked at it and was pleased. I am also getting these butt ugly Sutures out next friday 4th March which just happen to be out 16th Wedding Anniversay, other people stay in for a special diner, some go out, but me well i am having Sutures out. They did a swab of my nose, groin which came back clear. I am proud to say that they also took a swab o my leaking staple hole and that came back clear to, no infection, just had a love strip wash, but i insisted i lean in the shower and my hair was washed, oh it smells lovely, i had not washed it since last Tuesday before my 2nd surgery. My surgeon does not want me to have a shower for another week, lucky me, but i am very concerned when the dressng comes off for the last time, i did mention this to him but he said my incision is closed, though the Sutues are still in. I think these may hurt, anyone has sutures from a Lateral Total Hip Surgery incision?. Take care one and all have a great weekend x
    • Posted

That's all good news! Except for how you are spending your wedding anniversary! 😉 On my birthday I had appointments with the surgeon who did my THR and the new orthopedist I found to help me with problems that the old ortho was unable to recognize. Not fun, but I was ecstatic to have found a doctor who knew what he was going.

Hope you stay infection free and the sutures come out pain-free. I had 24 staples removed from a lateral incision and it wasn't painful at all! Have a wonderful weekend yourself.

• Posted

What a romantic way to spend your wedding anniversary. twisted

Great news that you have no infections, it can be such a worry.  Sounds like you are progressing well there.  Keep up the good progress

Graham

• Posted

Evening well my Sutures have come out, the nurse put some Steri Strips though she said it is closed was a bit of skin at the end, it looked as ugly as hell when the Sutures were in. I ask the Nurse to put a waterproof dressing on it. I have not had a shower for 2 weeks a strip wash everyday, as i did not want any water getting in my incision like it did las time, my Surgeon thinks that i caught the Stap infection originally from when my dressing came off and i had none on for 7 days, we all know that we have this bacteria but it only take a cut or a graze and then we have the Staph. I asked my husband to check the dressing told me that he could see a couple of spot ie looks like plasma through the dressing. I am just so scared to leave the dressing of, i am not going to shower until i have seen my Surgeon next Wed, they did  swab of my nose groin and when my staple hole was originally leaking, took it on the 15th Feb and my 2nd surgery was 16th Feb, it all came back clear, thank goodness for that. i have been on enought Antibiotics  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.