DD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been diagnosed with DD l had a blockage due to impacted stool in colon. This caused my colon to collapse and caused enzymes to virtually poison me. The laxatives given before a colonoscopy released the blockage of stool and it was huge (sorry) who would have thought that it was that that was poisoning me. It was initially thought I had pancreatic cancer. I don't have diarrhoea but do get hard stools not always but sometimes. Any advice please as to how l can avoid another blockage. I eat a very healthy diet and have a lot of natural fibres but still at tImes my stool is on the lumpy side. I have always drank lots of water and exercise regularly. I'm 67

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine

I too am 67 with DD, which I have had for 16 years.  This might have quite a simple solution.

My GP prescribes me with Fybogel (UK name, Metamucil USA name), which I have taken daily ever since.  If you are UK based you should get it free, otherwise it can be bought on the Internet.  It is a stool bulker and softener, making the stools easier to pass.  It also has a mild laxative effect and is the most common treatment for DD.  It is made from Psyllium husk, a natural material, and is clearly regarded as safe to take long term.  The only side effect is an increase in the number of stools, but with DD an empty bowel is a good bowel. 

It does take a couple of weeks to start to become effective - it is not an instant fix.  It is taken with 12 oz water and chugged down straight away before it thickens.  I find the orange flavour quite acceptable, although it does contain artificial sweeteners.  I think you can get plain and lemon flavoured as well.  I take mine first thing in the morning, and if I find myself becoming a bit constipated, I'll take a 2nd one in the evening (perhaps once a week).   The one thing to avoid is regular use of the more violent laxatives.

You are already following a healthy diet, but might want to tweak it a bit.  I suggest you Google insoluble fibre and try and reduce that in your diet.  For example, althought they are good for you in general, I remove skins (ie potato, apple etc) from my diet.  I have a lot of home made blended soups and vegetable purees as they are easier to digest.  There was a post by julia1040 about 8 months ago full of helpful information about food, to which others added their suggestions.  We are all different and just have to find out what suits us best.  Some cannot eat red meat, nuts, pips, seeds which are no problem for me.  But I can't eat gluten or full fat.

Glad to hear you are cancer free.  I too was suspected of cancer - bowel in my case- and am also free.  Best wishes.

• Posted

most people on here take fybergel to help them I started taking it and it as helped. My problem is I go from soft to hard. Sounds like you are doing everything you should. I am 70 and I think I have had DD and IBS for years only got diagnosed last year. Good luck with everything
    • Posted

Thanks Susan l will try that when I get home I'm currently in Cyprus eating lots of salad with olive oil and seem fine. From time to time my stools are still a bit hard so taking the odd senacot. I also l have had it for many years the strange thing is that for two years l was taking a med for reflux since my diagnosis for DD and the laxative clearcut l no longer suffer reflux and have come off Meds so assuming it was all due to the blockage .

• Posted

I can only eat a small amount of salad but I do use olive oil to cook with Don't forget no seeds skins or nuts I skin and seed my tomatoes before I can eat them have a lovely holiday

• Posted

Thanks Susan I do eat skins because of the fibre but do take out the seeds in tomatoes.
    • Posted

Pips and seeds can get cought in the diverticula pouches and course a infection
    • Posted

Hi

It might be worth seeing if the skins, being insoluble fiber, are contributing to your occasional episodes of hard stools.  I love jacket potato skins, but no longer eat them.

• Posted

You might want to take a fiber supplement too. I too have had many intestinal issues too. DD is a very difficult disease to control but I know keeping your stool soft you must have fiber and water and sometimes natural is not enough. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.