DD suffers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does any of my fellow suffers of the horrible illness use Juicing Machines.

i got a well known Juicer but I'm not sure if it's safe to use knowing that our problems from a flare up stems from bits getting stuck in the Sacks in the Colon

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,I have a juicer but haven't used it recently , mine takes all the fiber out and that's what you need unless you are having a flare up.I eat lots of fruit anyway,I don't think it would do you any harm though.A blender to make smoothies would prob be better for you.

• Posted

Hi Kieran, I have a juicer, but like Yvonne, I haven't used mine for a long time.  I think that I stopped because I was worried that it might aggravate things.  I am just getting over another attack and I would be interested to hear other sufferers opinion on juicers too.

• Posted

Hi Lyn

im in the same boat as you, just getting over a bout of the horrible DD.

Iv just watched an add on the shopping channel for one of these.

i won't mention the brand because you know who will block me.

It looks  very good because it leaves no seeds I hope but am still afraid just in case it causes another flare up

Heres hoping someone on this site has some information on them

• Posted

Yes, mine is one of those that turns every bit of the fruit/veg into a drink and it is excellent, no mess and easy to clean.  My husband has been using it  every day for the past two years since we got it.  We have an  allotment and grow masses of strawberries and raspberries but I am too afraid to eat them now!
  • Posted

Juicing is great as long as you are not having a diverticulosis episode or if you have had a recent one, you need to wait 3 weeks after you finish antibiotics.
    • Posted

Hi gigi59

thanks for this information.

Would you know the best type of fruit to juice?

• Posted

You can juice anything you like. Apples, bananas, pears, kiwi and and a handful of kalebor spinach. Just give your colon some recovery time after an attack of diverticulitis. 2-3 weeks after you finish antibiotics. Low fiber until you are 3 weeks out.
    • Posted

Hi Gigi59

do we peel the fruit or veg first.

As far as the Bananas are concerned I assume we peel them first but there are small seeds in them.

will the machine smash the seeds?

Kieran

• Posted

Kieran,

Peel bananas but your juicer should pulverize everything else. I peel and core my fruit but my GI doctor said the skin is good fiber. I would core apples and pears though.

• Posted

Hi Kieran, I've just been diagnosed after a severe time. I've been reading a lot recently and a lot of new thinking suggests that nuts and seeds are actually good for this condition, I'm certainly going to give it a go as I don't want to give them up unless I have to. I will report back in a week either telling you I'm fine or I mad a mistake

• Posted

Dan,

All of the evidence based studies show no correlation between food and diverticulitis, however my GI doctor told me if I knew certain foods triggered an episode, avoid them. I ate nuts the day I had my last severe attack. I hadnt eaten any for months prior to that day. I eat creamy nut butter but ended up having the surgery to remove the diseased portion of my colon 4 weeks ago. That is why everyone has to do what they feel works for them.

• Posted

Kieran1952 stop right there. You do not have to suffer any longer. What goes in must come out. It's simple and most folks in this forum need to understand that if you keep your colon cleaned out on a regular basis your not going to get waste trapped which causes the flare ups. Bottom line psyllium husk does that for you and the only downside is you have to go more often. The surgeon I visited was the one who explained this to me and I have never been back to see him. Take 2 teaspoons in 12 ounces of water twice per day once in morning and once at night. Do this and you will stop diverticulitis.

Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.