De-Ironing

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

Can you tell me how you felt after you were de-ironed? Also include the number of phlebotomies it took to get to maintenance phase and where you iron levels were when you started? Thanks so much for your time.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I started with levels of around 700 and I had my first blood session in December and was 'normal' by April.  To start with I tried weekly sessions but found it easier fortnightly but then went back to weekly once my body had adjusted.  Eat and drink plenty of water before a session and I also found coconut water helped before and after the session.  Avoid alcohol the same day as a blood session as you will feel the effects very quickly - it may be obvious but I really did not think and no one told me.  You may also be more tired than normal after a session but by the next day generally OK but exercise may be more difficult.   I like to run and a few miles feels like half a marathon.  It's not all bad news as any symptons you are having will improve, I had crazy itchy skin and this has stopped and for that I am very grateful.  I now just attend blood donar sessions every six weeks and this keeps me under control and it's for a good cause.  In my experience the blood sessions were fine, a sharp prick but nothing major.  I attended the Chichester clinic and the nurses were fantastic as they are at the NHS blood donar clinics.  Good luck

• Posted

Tired and weak the first day . Next day wake up with sore sides which I believe are the kidneys. Sore thru out the groin are . Tired and no energy for 3 days. Fourth day start to feel normal again !
  • Posted

Started last December going one a week for 8 months. Then once a month till October. Then 6 weeks till end of November . Now I just went again end of November don't go till feb 4. Iron levels with at 1250 when I started . Now I'm at 51. Not sure if this is maintence stage or not have to go next time and they will let me know then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.