De Quervain's Tendonitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone ever been told they have Core De Quervain's Tendonitis?  I was originally scheduled for basal join surgery and went for a second opinion.  This doctor believes in using less invasive surgery if possible.  He has told be 99.9% sure this will help my issue. The cure is a LOT less invasive and the symptoms for my issue appear to be the same.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Might be best to get a third opinion especially when surgery is involved

• Posted

Thanks. Jane.  Insurance will allow only 2.  I am going to speak to the hand therapist I have used in the past.  She was a great help.
    • Posted

If you trust her that's a really good idea. Hope it works for you

• Posted

Me too.  I will let you know.  Sure beats the whole thumb surgery.    He seems to know what he is doing but you never know until it happens, unfortunately.  Thank you.
    • Posted

I don't hear a lot of success stories about surgeries. I've got some decent bunions that cause a lot of pain. Gp's not that interested nor was the podiatrist that helpful finally i asked to be referred to a rheumatoidologist. I'd previously seen to surgeons that wanted to fuse bones and put screws in and all sorts of things that didn't appeal to me because i've never heard of many good out comes. One surgeon said if you'd come ten years ago. I felt like screming at him that I had been asking gps for 15 years but they claimed and ortho wouldn't even look at them. The rheum sent me for an MRI told me exactly what my problems were and suggested a cortisone injection which 3 gp's said wouldn't work. To my great surprise it did. I know it won't last for ever but it's nice to be pain free for a while. Go with your gut

• Posted

You are lucky you can get Cortizone.  I do NOT do well with it.  I have had numerous foot surgeries and They have finally told me that my swelling, outside of my neuromas and peripheral neuoropathy is being caused by my Raynauds,,,whuich is strange becasue my feet are not cold, they are hot.  I believe it is from a combo of the neuropthy (Non Diabetic related) and mu Erythomelalgia (yet another rare auto immune disease).  I have had it since I was in my 20's and diagnosed with it numerous times. 

My DeQuervain's surgery is Wednesday. I feel a bit better about making the change in doctors.  I came down with bronchitis and went to the local clinic.  Turns out the doctor there uswd to practice Orthopedics and decided to quit the rat race of the it and is now a regular MD.  He verified that it appeared more to be thereas the tendon than the basal joint.  Funny how the doctors can come up with things and want to inflict more pain and suffering than may have been necesary.  Sure hope this relieves the pain. 

Good luck to you Jane14277.

• Posted

Hi Jane14277,  Had mytendon surgery done yesterday,  Needless to say, I have veins worse than a newborn.  The anesthesiologist was fabulous but I will not go in to all of it at this time.  They did a local, which was not the most comfortable situations. Appears surgery went well.  The only thing thatctually is giving me tolerable pain is the middle finger they did trigger surgery on. Very swollen and hurts at the base so I need to find out how much I am allowed to force the bending.

I have minimal pain at this time at the wrist but we shall see. going back to rest again. Talk more later.

• Posted

I am finding this interesting but incredulous... how can a doctor tell you that it is an arthritis surgery you need if it isn't? Didn't they do an x-ray? It should be obvious on an x-ray.

• Posted

Hi Paintedchicken.  Yes they did do several xrays and I went to 2 different doctors.  The first one said I needed the surgery and labled me at end of stage 3 beginning stage 4.  Surgery is a tough one so I went for a second opinion.  The next doctor was more specifically thumb surgeries.  theis place believes in less invasive when possible.  He thought the De Quervain surgery would help calm down the issues I was having. I aksed how doctor's can be so different. He said it was not that I did not have Basl, just that this would work for a while without the more major surgery.  I have an appointment on 21, November to further see his results.  He did tell my daughter that I would need the other surgery at some point, but that the tendons were so inflamed they would not have been able to do the basal surgery, since they take part of that same tendon. I know that I have little pain from this surgery, other than the trigger finger part.

I did speak to the hand therapist I know well.  I aksed her about both and she trusts both surgeons and agreed that the less invasive could help for a long while before the next one is needed.  I guess time will tell and I will know more when I see him.  I will keep you updated.  Anyone else have this situation?

• Posted

Good luck KavonK i hope it works out well for you
    • Posted

Paintedchicken nearly every dr will tell you something different they don't tend to look at thing holistically

• Posted

I will know more after my appointment. Sure hope this tides me over for a while.  Thank you.
    • Posted

Yes you are correct. Hope this one was correct.  My hand therapist, that I have known for a while agreed that less invasive is better, if it does the trick, even if it includes the basal. time will tell.

Good thing is that I am really not in any pain.  A few tings here and there, but that is it.

• Posted

Well Jane14277, my surgery follow-up is today.  Bandages come off.  We shall see what happenss.  Still get pangs of pain in my wrist, but it has been only 21 days.  I think the trigger finger surgery hurt more than the De
    • Posted

sorry Jane. Cut me off.  Dequervains surgery.  Difficult to straighten out my finger.  I need it on the other hand too, becaue it hurts like heck, but I will have to see how long it takes to heal this. I will let you know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.