Dead arm

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to bed and the next morning could not move or feel my left arm. This happen 2 months ago still no feeling or movement. I had a Brain scan which showed nothing wrong. Ives it's some sort of nerve damage. What can I do?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Australia,

I wish I could be more positive and this is only my opinion.

You have possibly trapped a nerve/nerves in your cervical spine, possibly at C4/C5 levels. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

If I am correct then you need an mri scan of your cervical spine and an appointment to see a Neurologist.

I am not trying to frighten you but you are possibly still at risk of further injury. Do not raise your hands/arms above shoulder level, do not put any strain on your upper body.

You must take care until you have been assessed by a Neurologist.I really hope I am wrong in my assumption.

Best of luck, I await your reply please take care

• Posted

I agree you need to have an MRI of both your cervical scan and brachial plexus to rule out nerve impingment and/or Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

What has your GP suggested as the course of action. When you say brain scan, that may have included the neck. Have you noticed any change in the temperature or colour of your arm. I presume you're not feeling pain as you can't feel your arm.

Clearly you need to get to the bottom of this asap, as two months is a long time not to have movement or sensation in a limb. Push for the MRI if it's not forthcoming and I wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you to both of you. The dr did a brain scan to rule out a stroke. Everything was clear as far as the brain scan showed. He has sent me for physio which of course is useless as I can't do anything with the arm. It's just hangs. The colour is still  good and see little bit of muscle loss. I have asked for a full body MRI but have been put on a waiting list. At the moment I am using a tens machine hoping for some kind of stimulation  I have it on the highest setting and can just feel on the top of my shoulder towards my neck. I really don't understand how this could happen. There was no previous injury. It just happened in my sleep

• Posted

I had the same thing after I had a cervical fusion then found out it weakens your spine above and below. At the time I was working long hours on a computer at a hospital so had an MRI and had herniated two discs on my thoracic spine. I had months of physical therapy and several years later had to retire due to all my problems caused by my fusion that was suppose to help me. If anyone is considering a cervical fusion please research it as it has destroyed my life and health. 
    • Posted

Hi Nancy 

sorry to hear your operation caused you so much trouble. I still have no reports regarding my problem. At the moment TS just a matter of having a dead arm hanging from my shoulder   There is no pain anywhere and the rest of my health is good so I guess in one way I am lucky

idont think I would ever contemplate surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.