Dead tooth pain and confusion PLEASE HELP!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've been experiencing a great amount of pain for the past four days I went to the dentist yesterday because they had been closed over the weekend. The dentist told me my tooth was dead and I had to get a root canal and crown but that my insurance could not cover it so now I have to wait until august 3rd to get the tooth extracted. He prescribed me some antibiotics for the infection and pain killers and the pain has reduced some but he did not tell me if I had an abscess or not the tooth is still sensitive to the touch and it is very hard to eat anything.. I just want to know if I continue with the antibiotics will I eventually be able to eat normally with no pain when biting down or will I have to wait until the tooth is extracted in August can someone please help me!!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The antibiotics should deal with the pain on a temporary basis, at least until you can get the tooth extracted. But don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Unless the tooth is dealt with one way or another the abscess - and yes, it is an abscess - will come back.

• Posted

Provided the antibiotics actually deal with the infection - yes. But occasionally broad-spectrum antibiotics don't work. It depends on the strain of bug that's got in. If this is the case you'll know about it as the pain won't subside and you'll need to return to your dentist. But if all goes well, you should be able to eat more or less normally. But I'd still advise some caution - don't use the infected tooth to bite on anything hard. (So peanut brittle is out!)

And once again - you may find that the pain subsides completely as a result of the antibiotics and you'll probably still be pain-free by early August. That does not mean you can put off having the tooth extracted indefinitely. The pain will come back. Antibiotics don't cure an abscess, they just keep it under control till you can get something done about the tooth. August is fine, but waiting too long could result in the infection getting into the bone. Then you'd be in for far more complicated, and expensive, surgery.

• Posted

I would think that once the infection is gone, assuiming there is an infection, the pain should either go away or subside.  But if you have decay, I would think that you'll still experience pain or sensitivity until the problem is solved.  This is just an educated guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.