Deadlift lower back injury

Posted , 4 users are following.

Pulled lower back on Friday doing deadlifts. Very painful unable to bend down...nerve pain... Applying heat now alleviates pain-how often a day should I apply heat? How long should I wait before going to a chiropractice? Any good advice welcome

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi ouch that sounds painful.  If your back is inflamed try alternating heat and ice as this might help better than just heat.  Take it easy and rest with some very gentle exercise to stop you from seizing up.  Don't overdo it.  I think you can apply heat as many times as you want as long as it helps.  The same with ice.  x

• Posted

Thanks for that...you are right the heat/ice combination has definitely eased it...decided just to walk every day and avoid weights for now
  • Posted

Brian Persnally I would go and see a physio for an assessment. Make sure that he/she is a Chartered Physio. I would ring up first to enquire about fees, available appointments and pick hisor her brains. I would not see a chiropractor yet anyway because you need the back pain etc assessing in a gentle manner.

If you develop any saddle numbness or tingling/numbness of the bottom, legs then you should seek medical aid immediately .

• Posted

Thank you Jane. I have contacted a local physio to look at it next week. Seems to have eased a little with the heat/naproxin and paramol...regards

• Posted

I injured my back 13 years ago working out and I never got better. So listen to these people's responses because their right. Go to a physical therapist and I suggest using ice rather than heat or at least alternator. I prefer ice myself because I think it reduces the inflammation. Also make sure you're taking ibuprofen that also will reduce inflammation. A physical therapist is your best bet at this point not a chiropractor. I used a chiropractor for a year and as nice a guy as he was I wasted my money.

So ice, ibuprofen and physical therapist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.