Dealing with amputation and cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had to undergo amputation of the right leg due to cancer.  I was diagnosed in 2005 with a recurring Sarcoma, but after many ops the cancer came back again Feb 2014.  I am now dealing with the fact that the cancer took my leg and my inability to deal with daily life is crushing me.  I have a prosthetic leg but it is very hard to get around the house.  I wake up and my heart starts pumping straight away and I am immediately stressed about how I am supposed to fill my day.  I watch people walking about and it depresses me even more now.  Coming to terms with a permanent disability it getting harder and harder for me. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine, I am sorry that you have gone through so much and still finding it difficult. Is there any support networks for you that can help. If you are in the UK ring the social services to see what help is available. Good luck.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Christine, You have been through a huge amount not just losing your leg but the whole cancer journey.  It does sound as though you may be suffering from PTSD also.  PTSD isn't limited to soldiers who get blown up in war zones.  Do start by picking up the phone. Elizabeth is right in do try to find what's available locally to you. Along with your local NHS/social services, also support groups and charities etc the limbless association is one such charity who is well worth picking up contact with.  

The loss of a limb is profound. It's a grief. A bereavement.  But you must believe there is life after an amputation, because there is.  Many many do adjust and go on to thrive. (I do have a military connection so am speaking from experience) indeed many say their lives feel more fulfilled now than it was before their incident! But every single one of them had to travel the same road you are now travelling.  Do ask for help and perhaps mention possible PTSD, as the fact your trauma was over a period of time, and done surgically, doesn't mean it's any less traumatic than an instantaneous single event.  

Tomorrow is a new day and it will get better xxxx

• Posted

Hi Chris, glad you cold give more information to Christine than i could.I have no experience of these things but just wanted to offer some support to her. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Elizabeth, it was lovely of you to hold out a hand.  It's hard sometimes, when people don't know what to say, so they avoid, but just showing we care is sometimes all that's needed. And Christine, we do care, so please don't feel alone.  

As I mentioned I'm more military experienced, but some of the issues are the same, irrelevant of the cause.  The current war injured are I feel a hidden community.  In WW2 or WW1 the country was at war. Everyone in your street either had a loved one away at the war, or knew someone away at the war.  Neighbours, shop keepers, families could all relate to what was going on and the impact of war.  There was a national community, sharing a common and horrific experience.

Today, our war impacted community is hidden.  They live amongst us but are hidden from view.  Even close family members, whilst supportive and care greatly, don't understand because they've never experienced the situation first hand.  This can leave many feeling utterly isolated, misunderstood and unsupported.  I think Christine is possibly feeling the same. 

Christine, many many people and family members do care greatly.  They want to help but are possibly unsure how.  We started by building a small yet tight 'Team Christine'.  A small group dedicated to holding your hand through this journey.  Are there people already in your life, who you've met, who could be part of Team Christine?  Professionals your GP etc who you feel comfortable with and can share your thoughts, feelings and frustrations?  the reason I mention the limbless association is again speaking to someone who understands.  they too become part of Team C hristine.  The limbless association isn't about joining a football team, it's about support of a community, and you can be such a huge help to that community as you completely understand, because you've been there.  I haven't, but I do care passionately. There are so many out there, hidden, you are truly not alone, and there are many more, like me and Elizabeth who want to help.  But you do have to take those first steps to build Team Christine. You do need to let others know you are there and whilst asking for help is hard, surely it's not harder than struggling alone? For starters, you have Elizabeth and I as your online Team supporters smile You can beat this.   Lots of love Chris xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.