Dealing with anxious thoughts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all smile I hope this finds you all well X

I wanted to know how you all deal with anxious thoughts? The ones that send a shooting sense of dread through you, or make you cold and clammy...they convince you something is wrong, somethings has happened or even that you need to call an ambulance because you are convinced you will die if you don't.... Those really horrible, intrusive anxious thoughts sad

I've been better but something has happened and I seem to have taken about ten steps back. I'm not 'as' bad as I was... But I'm nearing it and I feel like it has been such a short time of feeling better that I shouldn't be going backwards just yet.

I'm dealing with really bad health anxiety at the moment and I thought I had turned a corner...I'm trying not to slip under again, though...but it's hard

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I understand my friend. I've had 4 good days, and today hasn't been great at all. I'm not sure how to really get rid of the thoughts. Usually I just wait and give it time. Usually I'll think something is wrong, like I'm going to have a stroke, but 4 days will go by and my brain will understand that I'm okay. But another thing that helps me, personally, is distraction (TV and movies from my youth) and getting a massage. My university has this free massage chair you can reserve for 30 minutes, and I go there now every few days. It's helped me so much to calm down. Anyway, you're not alone my friend. And I'll be thinking of you and sending positive energy your way. You'll get through this.

Peace

• Posted

Hi Mopsy smile

Setbacks are common with AD and I understand are disheartening.

However, you start again. From the beginning if needs be

Telling yourself firmly you DO NOT have a brain tumour

You practise your Right Breathing

You make efforts to distract yourself with doing things, moving the body, focusing the mind upon other things...even if the fear hangs on...you make the effort, okay?

Don't struugle against it becauise if you do it will tighten its hold

Don't fight it otherwise it will fight back harder

Practise, practise until it becomes natural to you

Helen xx

• Posted

Hi Helen smile X

You are right.... I am breathing and indulging in some things I enjoy, like rubbish to and rubbish magazines smile

The prescription from the GP for my ears had been helping but now I have caught a virus and it has brought back he ear pressure, woozyness and eye problems. My ears don't feel good at all. As someone said to me yesterday, I should feel happy because this proves its my ears... But I feel the what ifs. I feel quite under the weather (it comes in waves like a typical bug,) but I even started to panic that I wasn't Ill..... And that it was just getting worse. Which is ridiculous because I know I am poorly.

Ah.... I keep on keeping on and have been allowing myself time to get better x

• Posted

Hi Mopsy smile

One of the things we have to learn is to seperate illnesses, such as ear infections, colds and flu and the rest, from AD symptoms

When we get a common illness, there is a tendency to panic, to mistakenly think, IT.S BACK! OH NO! HELP!

And of course hot on the heels of those thoughts comes the physical symptoms of AD

Now we've got both to contend with. A common illness and the resurrection of AD symptoms

Back we arrive at Right Thinking, Mopsy.

You have a prescription from your GP for your ear problem, correct?

You have caught a virus, correct?

Ergo you have a common illness

Don't pile on anxiety by questioning the vailidity of that. It is a fact

Which brings us right back to Acceptance, Mopsy

Accepting AD and riding out the symptoms using all the tools in your self-help box

Accepting that in life you will at times have a common illness. As such you deal with it accordingly

Don't confuse the two. They are seperate

Helen xx

• Posted

Hi silly moo

Reading you post I feel like I have written it myself, I am exactly the same!! I have had a good spell but the last few weeks have ever been terrible and like you horrible intrusive thoughts etc my dr has increased my med from 20mg to 30mg for a few weeks to see if that improves things, I'm struggling at the minute but from past experience I know it will pass but i want to feel better now!!!

• Posted

Sorry meant hi sillymop not moo
    • Posted

Silly moo? Lol! I roared with laughter at that typo error

Such fun!

Made my day I can tell you

• Posted

Hey mop.Am from India.Right now am sitting in my bed.And my friend am going through this attack right now and in the mean time am typing as well as it is helping me to calm down a bit.My best advice is that to accepting the facts and getting educated about this "Uninvited visitor".Just let him go through his course.No one has ever died because of having Anxiety.He will pass by.New life and fresh air is waiting for you on the other side.Trust me this will pass.Lots of love.Cheers to the future ?

• Posted

I read about health anxiety. It helps because I realize it's real and alot of my symptoms are from my anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.