Dealing With Illness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi to all, I hope you are all well smile

Yesterday I went back to my GP for a follow up of my meds and she diagnosed me with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I wrote down everything I have experienced from the beginning until now and deliberately avoided my anxiety so that it wouldn't detract from my symptoms. This was quite hard for me, as sometimes dismissing things as anxiety can bring relief rather than having to face up to a potentially real issue.

Anyway my GP explained how each symptom matched with my condition and why (how it causes that feeling and sensation, etc.)

I have been told to continue with my medication and to return in December if things are no better and she will prescribe something else.

I have to accept what it is now and stop chasing tumour fears, so I have come for some advice.

How can I tackle this? Some days, like today, it is particularly bad and my anxiety grows especially when it effects my eyes.

I find myself fidgeting, hands grow clammy, mind begins to either race or convince myself that I am losing my faculties. In my panick I feel I am losing memory, losing awareness etc. After it passes I feel better and I think this is because I still panick over some undiagnosed brain tumour. I have to accept the reality of what I have and I feel I am..I almost feel these are residues of my anxiety.

How can someone with severe anxiety deal with these symptoms? I cant keep feeling like I'm going to lose control of myself.

I am going to mention this to my counsellor also but I wanted some feedback from fellow anxiety sufferers.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've been dealing with all this, Sillymop. I know it's been a long time since you've felt relief from your anxiety. At least now you have a better sense of what is causing the feelings, but I know from experience that this doesn't always help to relax your mind. You're not going to lose control or go crazy, I promise. But the anxiety will still play with your mind and make you believe things that you know aren't true. Lately I've been dealing with my anxiety and depression by just staying inside when I can, getting rest, drinking water and occasionally going for walks. But it's been really hard for me too. One day at a time. I hope that you're able to find some relief from all this very soon. Best xxx 

• Posted

Hi Nick, thanks for responding.

Yes it has been a long road but today I did feel a break from my anxiety, even if it floats close beside me I have been able to do a few things today that I enjoy.

Anxiety and depression is awful. You have my sympathy...it is like being between a rock and a hard place: damned if you do and damned if you don't. I usualy experience anxiety and depression together and it makes me feel very tearful, very vulnerable, alone and frightened. It's a nasty mixture sad

You are right, staying where you feel safe to recharge and drinking plenty of fluids are good!

I hope you too find some peace soon. I really hope that I do too! Perhaps we will get lucky?

• Posted

All you can really do is accept the GP diagnosis and give it a further six weeks or so until December.

Even in my case I suffer Anxiety and I look at the areas that are grumbling, I need to understand I have problems and I try and put things to the back of my mind.

Please settle

B.

• Posted

Ahh the wicked eustatian tube dysfunction come join us in the eustatian tube forum. Its one very annoying thing. I have this incredibly annoying songram sound in that ear at times. Learn to blow air in the by holding your nose and lightly blow. Its helpful. Only opens one at a time with me but heloful. There is something called the otovent if you use it let me know if it works.
    • Posted

Lisa! I did not know there was a forum for this!! I may just do that smile thank you so much for replying to my post, too.

It is horrid. It has been a little better of recent but not tonight... Pressure in ears, behind nose...eyes feel funny and I have a slight buzzing sensation within my ears. Deep inside feels as if they have been filled with air or rocks haha it is a funny, stretched sore feeling And it really activates my anxiety. I am hoping something at some point helps. I have noticed since the weather has turned cold it has gotten worse rolleyes a bug I caught recently also really reactivated it.

It's been one hell of a year :-/ I hope you are well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.