Dealing with noise

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi again folks, just wondered if anyone would have any tips or experience of dealing with noise.

My problem, is my neighbour, a garage, who from time to time revs car,s vans etc. Now while I can deal with it sometimes, other times it sets me of, I tense up, agitated, and basically want to bury my head so it stops.

It seems to be certain noises and sounding engines and traffic noise that set me off, and we live on a fairly busy street.

Now it is my intention to take legal action, against my neighbour, eventually when I'm in a better place, I still need to be able to deal with noise, any tips from you, greatly appreiciated thank you.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I often wished I lived in the middle of a big field away from everyone!

I think they should put all noisy neigbours together and let them fight it out between themselves instead of involving the rest of us smile  x

• Posted

Is is me or has it just become more acceptable to be noisier these days?  I remember as a child in south London, we had cobbled streets and people would lay straw on them to deaden noise if someone was at home ill and needed peace and quiet to recuperate.  Oh to be back to a time where screaming children, barking dogs, late night music, engines revving etc., is now the accepted norm and not dealt with...........
    • Posted

that didnt read right.....I meant back to a time when it wasnt the norm... old AND blonde, with arthritic fingers, deadly combination.
  • Posted

I find that when Im at other folk,s house's, I still listen, for noise, and if it,s peacefull I get kind of envious. Now I know this is a habit I need to break, otherwise, I'll end up ill again.

I believe the world is a noisier place, dispite all the regulations, and quieter cars and so on, the day,s of going for a quiet pint in the pub is also a thing of the past.

• Posted

I'm sure you're right Nick, I envy people for whom noise doesn't seem to be an issue, I know I overreact and it doesn't do me any good I'm sure but I really find it difficult to cope with continuous unnecessary noise, it sort of makes a short circuit in my head and I feel my anxiety rising.  I'm also convinced the UK is far noisier than some other places just because of the densely developed housing policy we have, there just isn't room to breathe let alone 'hear the grass grow' anymore.  I get the feeling there aren't many places in Britain you'd hear a nuclear bomb drop over the hubbub, let alone the proverbial pin!
  • Posted

Hi nick

I know how your feeling and it's not nice at all . Your already on edge at hearing a pin

Drop never mind cars getting revved with no exhaust etc . This is enough to make you so irate and mad I bet you could literally punch him / her and also give

Them a mouthful . My neighbour is as noisy

As a herd of elephants ( there's only 3 of them in the house plus 3 dogs and a rabbit ) this noise always makes me wonder whaton Earth actually goes on in there

How someone can be so damn noisy

Is unreal , you have doors getting slammed

You have dogs barking evertime the door is chapped , you have unreasonable hours of work ( as I have a 3 yr old ) in bed 7:30pm and he / they know that fine well I had To literally go in and remind him that I had a child who was in bed and the work would need to finish and quickly after all he is retired and could have done this during the day . It really gets to you every noise you here the lack of consideration is beyond belief it's 100 times worse when you don't feel to good it's as if your listening for any noise at all and that's going to set you off

I really sympathise with you nick and hope

There is a resolution to this . There is only so much noise at such level which is allowed if this is continuous and loud

Then it may be time to do something about

It whether through council , maybe get free advice from CAB . Or you could have a nice chat with him / her and end up walloping

Them afterwards for causing so much grief

Lol hope you get this sorted

Let us know

Regards daz

• Posted

Cheers daz, unfortunately my case has gone past that stage.

We have lived here 10 years now, during that time I have approched him in a friendly manner, stern, angry, threatning, made deals as to when noise would stop, stop working outside, asked the police to do something

Every angle and every approch, going to court when I'm better, is my last option.

I should add, that for the meantime, untill I feel 100%, I have decided to accept the noise, to expect it to be worse than ever, that I live next to an unreasonable person. Stop telling myself, I dont want to listen to this and accept that for now I have too.

This is just for now to cope, but dont get me wrong, its hard especially, listening to a car with no exhaust, or machinery. It,s a technic I read, on the net,it,s worked, however last saturday, it didnt work for me , hence my post for how others cope with it.

I have been tempted to get physical with him, but why put myself in jail for him, plus the noise would still continue, with me out of the way.

I really hope we all get some, resolve, in the near future, and take some comfort that were not on our own. And that the noisey folk get a taste of their own medicine one day.

Good luck, daz

• Posted

Hi Nick

Only just found your post, so sorry for late reply, but I do so emapthise with you having been through it myself.  Between 1991 and 1999 I lived in what locally is called a quad housae, where four one-bed houses are joined together in a cube, each with just one front door.  I was unlucky in that all three of my neighbours were at one time or another very noisy.  Not the reving engines you have experienced, but loud music with a bass thud into all hours, slamming door, arguments, loud footsteps.  The houses were shoddily inusulated for sound.

It was also in these years that my bipolar came to a peak, I tried everything to cope with the noise and nothing worked, I tried negotiating, ended up being told to F,,, off, one of them was a police officer too, the rows they had.  I tried earplugs but the music was so loud it was still penetrating them.  I used to go and sit in my car on the drive or go to freind's houses but there was always that aweful anxiety that I'd have to go back, and as you have described, even when its quiet wondering when it was going to start again.

In the end I became totally depressed, then manic, then mixed states; then they hospitalised me for five weeks.

I'm sorry this doesn't sound very optimistic, but for me it was an unconquerable situation - until my best friend suggested we buy a detached house together by pooling our resources.  This was back in in 1999 when prices were much lower and we could just afford to do it, and all the problems just dissapeared with this soloution.  I've discussed my anxiety and depression at length in other groups and this one, so I won't bore you with the details, but certainly, noise was a big part of my triggers.  If there is any way you can sell up and move, I would.

So, I send you my very best wishes, sympathy, empathy and prayers

Sorry not to be more upbeat but it nearly killed me.

xxxx

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie, for the post, I intent to take this too court at some stage soon, and if I get no satisfaction well then I will consider relocating.

The fact is that this premises would not get planning today, if it were a new business setting up in a residential area.

I see your case as a success story, to be honest, that while this is on going , there are other options, and a way out, if it gets too much again. That said, we are at a stage now that even if it was closed down we would probably still consider moving as it has taken it's toll.

Thanks again Nick, Glad you got out xx

• Posted

Don't wait until your ins better place, act now to get the issue resolved.

Id suggest a letter sent to him could be a start just letting him know that the noise is unacceptable at times and as your not well is more than just a nuicence.

N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.