Dealing with pain from osteoporosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been dealing with osteoporosis for 10 years. 5 of which I was on medication.

In the past 2 years, I have had 7 fx ribs, and it was revealed on x day that I have a t-6 compressed disc.

Only medication I am taking for it is Vitamin D and Calcium.

Any clues as to how to get through the pain besides physical therapy and Advil?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am wondering if the pain is coming from the compressed disc that can cause a nerve to become very painful. Osteoporosis is supposed to be painless. Having said that I asked my GP a while back if my issues were from the discs or what? She said it was a combination of everything. I have scoliosis, arthritis, disc degeneration and osteoporosis. The nerve from the discs seems to cause an issue in my sacroiliac.

How I manage that is quite odd actually! I tried everything with no lasting success. Now I manage it by not letting it get set off. This might not work for everyone but it does for me. I do short walks only. I never sit on hard, straight chairs. I avoid taking pain killers which have little effect anyway on nerve pain. 

You could go into more detail if you like. Do you have a tscore? Has that been improved? Do you have arthritis? 

Are you saying you have broken ribs? Also, are you lacking any vitamins or minerals?

If you read through all the comments on this topic on here you will see people are being proactive with diet, exercise and supplements.

Hope this starts to help. 

• Posted

Yes I am taking vitamins and minerals, have mild scoliosis, arthritis and degenerative disc disease as well.

Going in for more tests in 2 weeks but my Dr doesn't prescribe any narcotics for chronic pain.

I also take 400 my of gabapentin per day for nerve pain as well as lidocaine patches as well.

• Posted

Then we are similar. I am 73 and my worst tscore is -4.3, lower back. I have so far refused the drugs and am hoping to improve my tscores, only time will tell! 

Are you able to be active? I am limited but do make sure to do some walking between taking breaks. I love the pool but we have not been for a while. I had an issue afterwards with breathing as there was no air in the shower room and my husband is not so keen on the pool.

All the best.

• Posted

Yes have not missed a day at work. I am 51. I have to work for insurance and I am one of the managers where I work. Thx for your help. I will give an update in about a month.
    • Posted

That is good idaholt. Age is another factor that means treatment is different. You have a long way to go before you are old so you need to be able to function well. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.