Dealing with swelling 9 weeks later

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 9 weeks post bunion surgery and 2nd toe realignment. I've been walking for the past 2 weeks in a surgical shoe. The swelling is going down but not enough that I can wear regular shoes. I'm wearing crocs today because the snow got my foot completely wet in the surgical shoe. I also have some tenderness still at the incision site (near the arch). I haven't done physical therapy but I'm scheduling an appt. I just feel like I'm walking all wrong and that could be contributing to the swelling. I wrap, ice and elevate when possible. I just want to wear a normal shoe, or at least close to it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

H, I am 14 weeks postop bunion surgery mine was pretty severe they also had to cut through my mid foot and put in a plate and four screws and remove the bunion . i’m still having a tough time wearing regular shoes because it’s still tender around the incision area I think it just takes time I’m sure everybody heals differently I still have a little numbness and tenderness around my big toe joint as well and still gets a little swollen the more I walk on it but definitely a lot better . Give it time

• Posted

I have plates and screws as well. The only one that bothers me is the one they put on the 2nd toe. It's hard being patient when you've been sitting with your foot up for forever lol.

• Posted

Hi. I was told that the swelling takes quite a while. As a matter of fact I bought a pair of sketchers (which would not be idle if you have snow). - I live in the Mediterranean in Malta and here we never have snow.. But I would advice you to buy a comfortable pair of flat shoes - but a size bigger. My foot remained swollen for over 6 months...........hope you will be luckier.

Marie11052

• Posted

You will be prone to swelling for up to a year off and on. Dont rush getting back into a regular shoe as it could damage the sensitive areas that were just operated on. I know it's hard sitting idle since you are probably wanting to try out your new and improved foot but just let the healing take course and the end results will be everything you wished for. the tenderness around the arch or mid foot and possibly the ankle area is from the Dr having to either relocate some tendons or just move them over in order to access parts of the foot needing his attention. with toe realignment the tendons or ligaments are actually cut and rerouted to help hold the toe in the correct position. Take it easy and keep in mind that the foot is under a lot of pressure and our bodies demand so much from them. Dont abuse them and remember you only get 1 set. Also the surgery shoe will make you walk a little like Frankenstein LoL but once in a regular shoe everything will start flowing again. therapy will help if you feel you need it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer I agree with you all the way. Well done and I hope all you have our operation will read your advice.

Thanks Marie

• Posted

Thank you jennifer83333. I saw a PT Friday and he gave me some walking exercises. We will work on strengthening my ankle, hip and foot. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

I'm sure it will all work out good just take your time. I'm 4 weeks post surgery with my 2nd foot and nothing has been the same as with my 1st foot. luckily both have been without problems however my 2nd foot had no swelling and is seems to be healing much quicker but I'm still not rushing getting back into a regular shoe due to the fact that I probably need the extra support and protection. Keep us updated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.