Dealing with the stiffness

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi there I am 7 weeks post op and my knee goes really stiff several times a day particularly if ive been doing too much housework??? Has anyone a good quick tip to keep releasing the stiffness??

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Andrea

I am 13 weeks post TKR and I only do small amounts of housework. 7 weeks is still early days so maybe rest a bit more? Everyone always talks about the exercises but rest is important too. I still get pain (today!) and I stretch a bit, massage with wonderful bioil and rest a bit. Soon helps.

Good luck!

• Posted

Elizabeth,  massage is a great idea!  My knee feels great when my therapist massages it, I should probably do this at home myself.
    • Posted

Yes maybe I should rest a bit more but my guilty conscience kicks in lol. Its soo strange when ur used to working full time to not working at all hey ho
  • Posted

Andrea, I'd like to be funny and just say don't do housework lol. Not sure about a quick tip for releasing the stiffness, maybe someone else does.  I'm 5 weeks, still sore and my knee swells if I do too much housework also.  I pick & choose what chores I'm going to do, but I don't do them all in one day, it may take me all week to get things done.  I try and incorparate stretches and some bending when doing chores and then I rest and ice.  Hope this helps,  Patty
    • Posted

Yes ive just put an ice pak on and I will try stretching a bit more!!! Thank you x x
  • Posted

I know it sounds crazy, but if I am stiff after doing too much or even sitting down too long, I get up for a walk about for a few minutes. I also try to stretch my leg out straight and use the bio oil. Never mind the injections for thinning the blood, they should supply shots of WD40!
    • Posted

WD40 indeed lol!  I find this journey is wearing my patience thin, I want to be out and about and of course it's raining so there goes my walk.
  • Posted

Hi Andrea.  Bending on steps was a great exercise for me.  Took out the stiffness immediately.  I am 16 weeks post op and am able to walk 4 to 5 miles without stopping.  I also ride the stationary bicycle for 30 minutes three days per week.  Never thought this day would come but thankfully it did.  Good luck to you.  Sandi

• Posted

Hi Sandi - I'm having my op May 27 and am doing loads of pre-op exercises. Can you describe bending on steps please.

Gail

• Posted

Hi Gail.  Put the operative leg on the step up from the bottom step and push forward to get knee to bend as far as you can tolerate it.  It worked so well for me.  Good luck on May 27th.
    • Posted

Sandi, I just tried that and it does feel good.  I'm going to add it to my other exercises, thanks!
    • Posted

That's great PattLee.  I am in the States, our physical therapy is intense and oh so worth it.  I did P.T. for 9 weeks and loved every minute of it.  I am now 4 1/2 months post op and feel great.  Of course I get twinges now and then but not real bothersome.  Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Sandi,  I'm in the States also and P.T. is very intense.   I go 3 times a week and feel so much better after, I keep up with exercises she gave me on the days I dont go.   Looking forward to when I can drive and get back some of my independence. Good to hear you're feeling great!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.