Dealing with tinnitus

Posted , 4 users are following.

my tinnitus came on after having one ear syringed at the doctors. After about a month it got a lot better but in a quiet room I notice it so i have the radio on, keep busy and play a lot of sport which i enjoy and which makes me tired so i sleep well.

i have had to give up certain things that I love, though. I dont go to music concerts and have stopped singing in a choir because the tinnitus increased, although it did go back to normal level after about five days. im also worried that swimming will increase the tinnitus and it wont go back to this just about tolerable level so Ive stopped that too.

any advice please, from anyone in a similar situation?7

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Your tinnitus can be managed go to your doctor and ask for an appointment with the hearing clinic or phone them direct and say that you can't hear properly because of the tinnitus.

John

• Posted

sounds like you have given up a lot of things you enjoy just because you fear it will make your tinnitus worse. This is "slippery slope" behavior and you might find that soon you are giving up everything. My sincere suggestion is to just do want you love doing and not worry about the effect on the tinnitus. In the meantime see an ENT doctor and have them run tests to check on your hearing and examine your ears. The problem could be very simple and easy to correct.....such as allergies.

Good luck and try not to worry so much about it. Stress and anxiety will make the tinnitus worse.

• Posted

Yes Hilary ,best advice is to NOT let this god awful nuisance of a situation rule your life .AT ALL It's not terminal,ask for the ear machines ,they d o help, but you can't swim in them ,you would never find them if they fell out ENT clinic is your next job

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.