Dealing with warfarin after a cerebral dvt

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I just found this group and I'm glad that I did, sometimes not everyone understands everything that we go through in these circumstances.

I had a cerebral thrombosis about a month ago, was unconscious for about 3 days and then woke up to fight my way through recovery, had to learn to walk and eat by myself and I'm thankful to say I did so in a couple weeks.

I have been on warfarin ever since. Like so many others I was offered no detailed information about this treatment up until I started looking for it and then I got to my first control appointment. So I threw in all my doubts and the doc was nice enough to answer all of them (see, in my country not all public hospital's doctors are that nice).

I did get my share of panic attacks, was scared about everything, leaving my bed seemed like a nightmare when I got home from the hospital and even brushing my hair and my teeth felt like I was going to have to go back to the hospital.

Now they're having "issues" with me at work, since my doc said I can't stand in the sun for long periods of time, no cutting, no bruises... You know the deal.

I work at a rental car place in a tropical weather country... So most of my job is to be done under the sun. So now I'm dealing with the whole "not being good enough to do my job" situation, even though my doctor's say I can have a normal life from now on, especially since the blood clot in my brain has already been dissolved.

There's a bunch of things to get used to with starting this treatment, but I'm also pretty sure that if everything goes well I'll also be very anxious when the doc says we can stop it.

Dieting is a bit hard for me but I guess that once your life is in the line... You just do whatever you have to do with no complaints.

I'll figure out my job situation at some point, hopefully.

I was indeed feeling down and with low energy for a while. Also had some heartburn and was crazy panicking about every tiny thing I felt, but now I know that can happen sometimes.

I'm trying to stay positive about it all but sometimes, once you've seen the huge turn an episode like this one gives to your life you can't help but feel a bit down.

Sorry for the loooong story but I really hope someone else can read this and know there's a whole bunch of other people going through similar situations... So we might be lonely sometimes... But we're not alone.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey

I had DVTs  in August and was in ICU. I am on Pradaxa. It takes a while to get use to being very careful. I did not want to leave my room. I work for Walmart.  I have been in limbo since my doc said it was ok to work. They currently have no position for me because they see me  as a risk. So they are giving me the run around having me come back to work. I am on disability with no pay. I find since taking the Pradaxa I am very tired no energy. I have been breaking out with a rash. I have to take the medicine for rest of my  life. Just think positive . it took me a while but I'm up and out. I see what you mean. No one knows the importance of your safety but you. Remember that comes first.

• Posted

Hi, is it ok if you get a rash? They have me looking out for things like that 🤔.

Apparently I went from being about to get a promotion to being the person my boss doesn't know what to do with. So I finally gathered up some courage and had a word with them. So we might have come to an agreement, after all.

I really hope your situation at work can be fixed... I know it's hard to get used to everything. Especially if you find yourself thinking what to do next, work wise.

It is a bit different in my country, in regards to the disability, here we get health care based on the social security payments they take right out of our salaries and it covers everything including the medication and any procedure. But it takes a while. And there is no thing such as a disability with no pay, if it's health related all companies have to stand by their employees until they feel better and get back on the healthy track.

I really hope everything turns out good for you.

I'm still trying to be careful, because I'm one of those people that usually bumps into everything all the time.

I used to freak out, at the beginning... Whenever I hit myself, even though it was the slightest bump and my doctor asked me not to worry... The panicking attacked and that was it.

So I had to learn to identify when was it a panic attack and when was it that I was really feeling sick, once I had that figured out... I started working on it.

Best wishes to you!

• Posted

Thanks for responding. I did get paid for disability but because I am good to go back to work but have restrictions they put you on Accomidations.  I was a stocker and was in areas where I could get cut. There is no pay for Accomidations.  So I have been looking for openings with in my store and others. But no luck. I feel like they don't want me there because I am a risk. But I am being positive. I also am seeing a counselor to just talk it through because no one seems to understand my side. It's good to have someone to just vent to. Keep your head up and you ever want to vent feel free to .

• Posted

Hi!

I totally get the "they don't want me here anymore" part. My boss keeps saying he doesn't know what to do with me. So before I had the DVT I had a promotion and a raise but then it all happened like a week after we settled everything for the promotion. So I went from being the best employee to move to administration positions to: " I don't know where to send you".

All jobs have a risk as minimum as they can be. I deal with lots of people everyday and have to drive an run and a lot of things under the sun.

I do get the risk of having someone in my situation, but I guess what's a bit hard for us to deal with is that some people doesn't seem to understand the huge turn our lives have taken.

But you know if we were all able to go through the roughest times in our lives, we can go through this "minor" issue. There is always something better yet to come...

• Posted

Hey

I had DVTs  in August and was in ICU. I am on Pradaxa. It takes a while to get use to being very careful. I did not want to leave my room. I work for Walmart.  I have been in limbo since my doc said it was ok to work. They currently have no position for me because they see me  as a risk. So they are giving me the run around having me come back to work. I am on disability with no pay. I find since taking the Pradaxa I am very tired no energy. I have been breaking out with a rash. I have to take the medicine for rest of my  life. Just think positive . it took me a while but I'm up and out. I see what you mean. No one knows the importance of your safety but you. Remember that comes first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.