Dear Friends who are using the Fentanyl patch. Beware...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dear Friends who are using the Fentanyl patch.

Beware of the horrific complications of using this patch. My son-in-law, who was 38 died as a result of using the patch. He died on the 28th of Aug. he said he didn't feel well and went to bed. One hour and a half later, my daughter went in to check on him and he was dead. Today we received the toxicology results, which said he died of an accute Fentanyl overdose.

Having searched the internet today, I find that in 2004 there was a recall of many of the patches made by Janssen Pharmaceutical. Evidently the patches have a tendancy to leak more medication that they should.

I would suggest that you contact your doctors immediately if you or someone you know is using this patch.

Chronic pain is difficult to live with but can be overcome. On the other hand, death is final.

Take care,

Carolyn

[i:e6899a680f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e6899a680f]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Carolyn, I was so sorry to read of your family's loss. These unnecessary deaths must be prevented.

My 23 year old son had Asperger Syndrome (a form of Autism) and lived independently.

He was found dead 31.12.05, 24 hours after his GP had prescribed him 100mcg Fentanyl patches plus 2 other medications, both with sedating properties in them.

He had only one patch on and yet tox results identified Fentanyl serum was 60mcg in blood = 15-17 times higher than normal. Other drugs were below therapeutic levels.

An FDA alert suggests that the to prescribe drugs that have a sedating property in combination with these patches may cause a dangerous and sudden increase of Fentanyl into the body. Janssen-Cilag Ltd. advise that this combination of drugs require special care and observation.

Doctors, Coroners and Pathologists all seem to be unaware of this!!! Why???

I would be grateful if you or anyone reading this with a similar experience could contact me as I would be interested to know what level of Fentanyl was reported in your tox results.

Take care,

Glennys

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed an email address from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

As you are a registered member, you and other registered members will be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)

• Posted

[quote:97d7b4a92c=\"pipspratt\"]Carolyn, I was so sorry to read of your family's loss. These unnecessary deaths must be prevented.

My 23 year old son had Asperger Syndrome (a form of Autism) and lived independently.

He was found dead 31.12.05, 24 hours after his GP had prescribed him 100mcg Fentanyl patches plus 2 other medications, both with sedating properties in them.

He had only one patch on and yet tox results identified Fentanyl serum was 60mcg in blood = 15-17 times higher than normal. Other drugs were below therapeutic levels.

An FDA alert suggests that the to prescribe drugs that have a sedating property in combination with these patches may cause a dangerous and sudden increase of Fentanyl into the body. Janssen-Cilag Ltd. advise that this combination of drugs require special care and observation.

Doctors, Coroners and Pathologists all seem to be unaware of this!!! Why???

I would be grateful if you or anyone reading this with a similar experience could contact me as I would be interested to know what level of Fentanyl was reported in your tox results.

Take care,

Glennys

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed an email address from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

As you are a registered member, you and other registered members will be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)[/quote:97d7b4a92c]

Hi im so sorry for your losses, im 32 & very scared as im on the fentanyl patch been on it for 4 years now i use to be on 125mcg and have managed to get down to the 75mcg I am so desperate to come off the patch as i have been in hospital a few times with severe chest pains and a sudden drop in blood pressure every time i try the 50mcg i go through hell seeing things fainting sweating etc now my body obsorbs it all in 1day i have pleaded with my doctors to help me get off it safely they wont help i have asked to go into a detox clinc they say they wont fund it im not a drug addicit they put me on the drug its killing me slowely and they dont care i am disabled and have no funds if i was to go private it would cost around £3,000 which i could never come up with, i have lost over 3 stone in weight lossed friends due to my mood swings now im scared to loss my life why cant the NHS help me get off the drug that they were so keen to get me on in the first place. Goodluck to anyone else out there i do hope i find help ASAp kind regards angelpug

• Posted

i have had a similar experiance with Fentanyl, i find doctors, nurses and professional care staff tend to know very little about this drug and reactions within different people. I have recently lost my father due to what i belive to be incompetance with his fentanyl. my father was on regular 25mcg patches, they were then upped to 50mcg he suffered from severe sleepiness and confussion, sweats, was taken to A&E unconsious-test results stated opiod overdose, (he was supposed to start 75's but was still using 50's) they kept him in for 3 days off all opiods, then on the 4th day released him with 75MCG patches, he trusted the doctors and within 24 hours of putting the prescribed patch on had died. The hospital so far have given no answers as to why they gave him the increased patch and did not reveiw this even knowing he was in for an overdose. it has beeen over a year and the hospital still have no given any answers. The Postmortem was done at the hospital and we requested toxicology/bloods as we belived this was an overdose, they said they had been done so we arranged the cremation, after this took place we recieved the PM and the bloods were never checked, pm was down as no causes found therefore pnumonia. I post this as a warning to others please please check dosages and should you feel tired, dizzy get it checked-its better to be in slight pain with a lower dose than dead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.