Death by COPD

Posted , 4 users are following.

My family have just buried our much loved 59 year old cousin. He died of COPD. Anyone out there still smoking need to give it up now. His death was one of the most horrible I have ever seen. He was attached to a ventilator and sedated. In order for him to die they had to bring him to conciousness but use a paralysing drug to keep him calm, they then switched off the life support and removed the ventilator. He was completely aware of what was going on. Imagine having all your faculties but the only thing you could not do was breathe. 59 years is a completely unacceptable age to die by today's standards. My own father died at 64 of a massive heart attack in his sleep, caused by smoking. Both deaths could have been prevented if they had just given up smoking, it is never too late to stop.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tinak,

I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin especially at such a young age.

Why did they bring him back to consciousness? Why couldn't they just switch the ventilator off. That seems, to me, to cause unnecessary suffering to the patient and their family. I am sorry you had to go through that.

The most important message you can get out to COPD sufferers, or anyone really, is to stop smoking.

Warmest regards

Tessa

• Posted

:cry: i lost my mum 18 weeks ago to copd, i totally despise this illness. its awful. iam so gutted she was only 57. and she also was aware, it was her lungs that let her down, we watched her die, take her last breath, that is the worst thing ive ever gone through in my whole life.
  • Posted

Karen12, what can I say? I am so sorry for your loss. All of us on here are either suffering from or watching loved ones suffer from this terrible disease. Your mum was no age to die. I think the worst thing is that many of us had this for years without knowing. There are now plans to make people more aware of COPD and this will mean they can get earlier treatment and hopefully then more of us will survive. But this will be no consolation to you will it love? Mourn your mum and make sure that you, your children and your friends are all aware of this killer so you can take steps to make sure it does not get you. Then move on, as your mum would have wanted you to, and have a good life. I am thinking about you.

Jacee :cry:

• Posted

Hi Karen 12

What a lovely caring reply from Jacee Karen, losing parents is part of life, but never easy, especially if they go early. But Jacee is right, arm yourself with knowlege and keep your family as safe as you can. Jacee is right to say your mum would want you to go on with your life - it is always the ones left behind who suffer. I hope things get better for you.

Sukie

• Posted

hiya, yes jacce is a very lovely lady and iam very gratefull for her words off wisdom. nice to talk to you sukie, thanks for reply, keep in touch xkarenx smile
  • Posted

hiya, yes jacce is a very lovely lady and iam very gratefull for her words off wisdom. nice to talk to you sukie, thanks for reply, keep in touch xkarenx smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.