Debating bunion surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there! My foot hurts whenever I consistently run, jump, or do Zumba, and if I'm working out regularly, it'll also hurt when I walk the dogs to the point where I temporarily limp, or even just when sitting on the couch. I saw a podiatrist who said he was surprised by the amount of pain given the size of the bunion, but that the only long term definitive treatment is surgery.  I'm 32, and recently strained my hamstring or something to where I can't run, so of course it doesn't currently hurt but an occasional twinge... but I know it'll be back and I'd like to lead an active life. I have time off coming up: do the surgery now while I'm youngish, heal faster, and have no kids to worry about? Or wait until it's awful and inconvenient? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was pretty much in the same exact boat as you are. I had tailor's bunions on both feet. I was experiencing pain when doing any activities that involve running. Even walking on the treadmill and elliptical sparked it up too. I have an sit down job where I have to occasionally go around walk around the building. Spending a day walking on hard concrete would make them miserable too. I tried all of the conservative methods, and they are useless. I am 41 and we finally scheduled for surgery back in July for the right foot. I am getting the left one done this coming Monday (10/16). For me it was a great choice. The pain is completely gone in the right foot. I had a nasty planar callus too on that foot that is practically gone as well. I hope this helps a little and good luck in the decision you make!  

• Posted

Thank you! I met with the podiatrist again yesterday and he offered other more conservative options like orthotics, wider shoes, splints, etc, (as well as surgery) but I prefer the more definitive option. I can't imagine me keeping up with moving orthotics from shoe to shoe forever. I'm so glad your pain is gone! That must feel so freeing, and even more so once your other foot is done healing. I am having the lapidus surgery, but I'm guessing that's different than yours since your bunion is on the other side of the foot (I think?)?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.