Debbie

Posted , 3 users are following.

June I broke 2 bones either side of my ankle and dislocated it has a operation to have a plate in then few months after had another op to remove 2 screws but kept plate in .. My foot and ankle is still swollen and numb and am unable to work as I still can't walk to good as I get a lot of pain in it .. Started physio and do exercises at home with my band 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I fractured 2 bones and dislocated the ankle on 15 sept, had the pins out 12 days ago, the wound has healed but it is so painful.  My cousin had the same 18 months ago and it aches when she walks too far and still swells.  I,m on this forum to give me an idea how long I can expect to be unable to drive and walk.   Maybe it is too soon for you to expect it to be normal.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

I'm in a similar position as well.  ORIF to the fibula, dislocated ankle and torn ligaments in the left ankle.

I have had three surgeries, the last one on Sept. 27th to remove two long screws that went thru the tibia and fibula.  My ankle is still quite sore and still very stiff despite daily exercises.  I cannot get it to bend and it does get frustrating because I can neither drive nor work and to make things worse, my townhouse complex is not wheelchair accessible, so cannot leave the house without help -- I'm captive!

There really isn't a lot of swelling, thankfully, and I don't have much pain when I weight bear (which isn't much yet) but it is an arduous journey and it seems like you will never get back to your life again.

It's a lengthy, sometimes painful process, but the only way to get your life back is to keep doing the exercises, even if the ankle doesn't cooperate, eventually you will see that changing.

I'm still waiting for my big moment when the ankle starts to bend, then I will feel like I am getting somewhere.

Believe me, I write these encouraging words as much for myself, so that I remember that one day, I will be back to 'normal'....lol

I wish you a speedy recovery, be good to yourself and you will get there smile

• Posted

Same as you but haven’t had surgery to remove the screws. I started a new job Monday. Swells terrible. I had six weeks pt and still walking with a crutch. Had Dr appt Wednesday and he gave me plantar fasciitis exercises to do . Go back in a month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.