Debilitating ankle joint cramping post arthroscopic surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

06/11/2018 I had straight forward ankle arthroscope. Surgeon said all went well.

2 and half weeks post surgery I got an infection around the sutures and immediately started suffering from debilitating cramping. I would collapse and lie in a pool of sweat, and writhe around due to the intense pain. The cramping would last anywhere from 3-12 hours and I could not touch or weight bear on the ankle.

The surgeon prescribed antibiotics and after taking repeats did absolutely nothing for infection. All the while suffering from these cramps on nearly a daily basis.

I went to another doctor who prescribed stronger antibiotics Alphaclav DUO Forte 875/125 (10 tablets which I took for 5 days). Immediate effect on ankle. it settled down.

No cramping for 2 weeks after completing prescription, then on 19/12/2018 suffered intense cramping episode which lasted 7 hours. 2 days later another episode lasted 8 hours.

Back to the doctors for another round of same stronger antibiotics (20 tablets this time). Last cramping episode experience christmas day (25/12/2018), until last night (27/01/2019).

Physiotherapist has never seen or heard of this before what could be causing it. This is debilitating and ecruciating.

Can anyone help with knowledge or experience on anything similar.

In hope.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.