Debilitating body weakness and fatigue

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am new here and am looking for anyone who may have experienced what I am currently going through.

Last year I got my last period ( was in perimenopause for 6 years prior), and a chronic sinus infection at the same time. After a quick decline in health over the following 5 weeks, I woke up one morning to have all the energy and strength sucked right out of me. It was so scary!! I had many that's, all show no health issues so far. I have improved alot since then ( though it was pretty hell), and now I am in full menopause since I have been period free now for 16 months. I am 46 and never had health issues before. I am getting my hormone levels checked out next week. I was just wondering since this infection and last period happened at the same time..could this have caused my huge crash in strength and fatigue?

Any insight would be appreciated. I am losing my mind trying to cope and also figure out what happened.

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry for typos. I am basically wondering if a hormone imbalance may have contributed/ caused my body to originally crash..and is preventing it from regaining health at a normal pace. Thanks.
  • Posted

I'm 48 and still get my periods.  I've had my levels checked many times and it always comes back normal.  I'm always tired and weak..  I believe it's hormones playing tricks on me.  I currently don't feel like doing anything just get the basics done.  I feel dizzy at times and a few other things as well.  Last year, I felt like this for about 2 months as well.    Be kind to yourself, get the basics done and nap when you need too.  I swim and do a water fitness class which helps so much!!  The water feels wonderful.  But if your too tired, try a short walk or on the floor to do some basic exercises.   Drink a lot of water and eat healthy.   During this time my appetite isn't great so when i am hungry I try to feed my body healthy food.

• Posted

Hey there kelly55079, thanks for replying. I am sorry to hear that you are going through a tough physical time as well.

It is so hard.

I also experience muscle stiffness and aches/ discomfort. All started when I had that collapse last year.

I am seeing a naturopath, and he is determined to get me better, so, I am on supplements he recommended. They seem to help a little. I go for an MRI on my brain and spine tomorrow, my neurologist found me to be a little hpersensitive when testing my reflexes. I also was experiencing tingling in legs and arms up until a couple weeks ago.

I eat well, and rest often. I just don't have stamina to be on my feet too long, or use my arms to do alot. I miss being my old busy self. I used to be able to stand for hours ( hairstylist ), and now, I feel like I am in the body of an 80 year old.

I do try to exercise a couple times a week..and go for walks. I do as much as I can to remain as active as I can around the house or doing shopping too. I try to keep activity and eat as balanced as possible. It's my sanity I worry about too..lol. This has been such a challenge.

Thanks for the advice, and I do hope you get better soon too.

Keep in touch and if you just want to chat, I am here. smile

• Posted

Hi Dee, your crash and extreme fatigue may have been from hormonal changes and the end of your periods and now after 16 months your hormonal levels are more stable. I go through times of horrible fatigue too but im putting it down to perimenopause. I'm 51 and still having periods......They are not a bit regular and can be light or very heavy. Good to hear that you have improved and hope all your tests are ok.....I'm sure they are. It's hard to believe how hormones can cause all sorts of horrible side effects.

• Posted

Thanks Willow1992.

I often think that was what happened too. It's so scary when you end up so sick and have no idea why.

I never knew hormones that are unbalanced could make you suffer so much!!

Thanks for the well wishes for my tests. I don't think the MRI will show anything. But, better safe than sorry.

I sure hope the hormone test will show something.. because if it doesn't, I am back to square one. And that terrifies me.

• Posted

Hi Dee - Unfortunately, crippling fatigue seems to be a symptom of Menopause.  Right now, I am dealing with digestion issues & happened to google Candida.  I only mention this because one of the symptoms of Candida is sinus infection & I thought of you.  Perhaps you could have this & it also caused your crippling fatigue.  It’s worth a look...ain’t it fun? Hope you get some answers. 

• Posted

Hi debra16694. I appreciate you taking the time to share this information.

I did read about candida and leaky gut syndrome almost a year ago. It was because if my research on antibiotics ( I was given 3 back to back courses for my sinus infection ).

I took colostrum for almost a year to help cure any leaky gut issues and to build up my immune. The kind I used was from a company called Sovereign Laboratories, it was given the thumbs up from my naturopath at the time.

It worked great, I think, it was just super expensive.

I eat a gluten free diet and drink homemade bone broth daily. It is suppose to help with leaky gut and so much more!! I recommend you googling that. These things may help you. Also, look into miso and kefir.

Good luck! And thanks again for sharing..it all helps, we never know what may be the key. smile

• Posted

Hey Dee Just read your post about leaky Gut, the gut has been my main issue. Dont know which trigger which anxiety trigger gut or gut trigger anxiety. what issue did you have with Leaky Gut?

• Posted

Hello Mary,

I didn't actually have any specific symptoms that I was aware of directly from leaky gut. I was just doing all I could to build up my immune system. I knew antibiotics kill good bacteria too ( something we need in our gut ), and since I had had 3 rounds of them back to back, I wanted to heal any issues they may have caused. This was in hopes of healing some stresses on my body. Never got a diagnosis for what happened to me..still working on it.

I hope you can sort out your health issues. Good luck!! ??

• Posted

@Debra16694 i know this post is old but what did you do fir the candida issue? Yes it does causes fatigue...and digestion

• Edited

Hi Dee 

Yes it’s awful feeling so fatigued, I’m struggling everyday with fatigue. I’m 49 and haven’t had periods for the last 8months . My problem is also sleeping so a good night sleep makes a huge difference. Lavender oil is good to relax you and get a good nights sleep . I’ve just started isoflavine supplements as they are meant to be a natural eostrogen . 

Please take care and look after yourself.

Linda xxx

• Edited

Thanks Linda,

Fatigue is awful. I do hope you conquer this issue.

I also struggle with sleep. I wake up every couple hours, and sometimes after going for my nightly bathroom run, I can't fall back asleep for hours!!

My naturopath had me start 10mg if melatonin and 30 drops of valerian tincture in water before bed. I did that last night, and used soft earplugs to drown out any distracting sounds (husband snoring). It worked very well. Let's hope it continues to work!

Maybe something like that would work for you? Just need to make sure it doesn't conflict with any medication you may be currently using. : ).

Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Dee.  I struggle with the disabling fatigue some days too.  I will have a good day here and there, but I still fizzle out fast.  I actually have an ear infection right now, I'm sure from clogged sinuses.  I haven't had an ear infection since I was a baby!10 days of antibx.  I am on day 8 and it is still hurting some.  

• Posted

I am so sorry you are having this discomfort. Ear infections are awful! I hope you are doing better now.

I send you love and light!!

• Posted

Had my MRI yesterday in my spine and neck. So loud!!

Let's see if anything shows up there.

I just want this weakness to go away!!!

Maybe it is just hormonal due to my new menopause situation.

I am just so stressed. Can menopause really cause that much destruction to one's health??? I went from being bedridden for weeks to having to slowly rebuild my strength, and I mean slowly!! Aches and pains, extreme fatigue and not being able to stand for more than a few minutes. Barely able to lift anything..just scary!! Had to quit my job!!

Next week..hormone testing. Will be interesting to see what results I get from that! Sigh..just need strength and patience.

• Posted

Hi Dee , how did it go with your MRI, any results yet? Im so sorry that you are going tnrough this but reading your post sound so much like me in the beginning of peri. I was bed ridden for weeks because of body weakness. Now looking back I think my lying down was onlyworsening it. I ike you literally had no.strenght at all. I was unable to eat because of my gastritis stomach, which made it worse. I ached and pained all over too. I still get that way sometimes., but nothing like before. Now out of nowhere it will just hit me, i would be fine one minute and all of a sudden i get so weak and fatigue i have to just lie or sit down. Mostly lie down until it passes. Have you been drinking protein shakes? If not, try that to see if it will help with strenght. Although, i still have symptons , i can say i am a bit better especially after reading your post. I know Dee about being too weak to use or lift arms. It will pass though. If you can try to do some kind of movement or excercise to maintain your muscles and regain strength, you will gradually start feeling better. Keep in touch on how things turn out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.