Debilitating, constant head sensation - uncomfortable concentrating for 8 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Fairly fit and active M/33 here. I have been experiencing a number of symptoms for 8 weeks now that started after a night out where I ate a fair amount of food and drink a few pints of beer (nothing unusual for me).

The main debillitating symptom is a constant, dull, uncomfortable sensation in the left side of my head, and this I feel either at my neck or behind my eye or in between. I feel this from the moment I regain full consciousness from waking up (feels like blood or electric rushing to an area in my head), to when I go to sleep. It feels like there is an increase in head pressure.

This thing that sets this apart from other people's accounts on this forum is the following.

When I am doing nothing, it is bearable. If I try to concentrate, the feeling intensifies. This can be anything from watching tv, reading a book or emails, trying to listen to music, being in a noisy crowd - the more 'facts' or new information in the content/movement, the more uncomfortable it feels, usually to the point were I have to stop/withdraw myself. I usually end up feeling uneasy and with a headache. It feels like I have an extremely low tolerance to stress and/or new information. I would imagine that playing a computer game would be impossible. Composing this forum post has been difficult.

When this started, the intensity was low but reached is peak 5 days later where even a few seconds of watching tv was unbearable. 2 weeks later, the intensity reduced, but I haven't felt much improvement since.

Other symptoms I have (these are bearable/manageable):

Constant tinnitus in right ear and bouts in left

Fractured sleep

Need to urinate soon after drinking

Sensitivity to loud/high pitched noise

Depersonalisation

Social withdrawal

Symptoms I have recovered from thus far:

Panic in head

Palpitations

Feeling of difficulty breathing as I try to fall asleep

Cold hands and feet

Loss of apitite

I find that keeping physically busy takes my mind off the symptom like cleaning, hoovering and having a gym work out. Being a passenger in train/bus/car journeys are now bearable. I cannot drive my car comfortably, so have not made any car journeys alone since. I am unable to work (in IT). My quality of life now is restricted and poor compared to before.

I have had a blood test (clear), brain MRI (clear) and have been to see a neurologist who administered an occipital nerve block, but that made no difference - may have made it worse. I am at loss as to what is causing my symptoms and what my outlook is. My gp says to just rest.

I am wondering if anyone else is or has experienced this and if they ever got a formal diagnosis of this. I would much appreciate anyone's account of their experience.

Many thanks for reading.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

oh wow you sound like me but mine is 7 weeks and i am 12 year old female but even lifting my head from the pillow is hard

you can che ck ou t my forum 5 week headache help me!!!

let us know if u feel any better

• Posted

Thanks Jemstone49, I have followed your discussion too. And I hope you feel better soon too.

P

• Posted

Some things to add.

If I sleep on my left side or by back, it exacerbates the sensation and I wake up with tinittus in my left ear. It goes houra after changing to my right/front.

Last week, I took an urine test for pyroluria and had a positive result. I don't know if this is causing my head (and other symptoms) but will be covering this base. I am about to start a vitamin amd minerals regime.

I also had treatment from an upper cervical practitioner who identified extreme forward posture and asymetry. Since that treatment, I think I was able to sleep a bit better.

2 weeks ago I had physiotherapy and acupuncture on my neck and back but that did not seem to make a difference.

• Posted

how are things now??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.