Debilitating fatigue - high PTH and Calcium

Posted , 5 users are following.

The last 7-8 years I have been facing really bad fatigue along with mood swings, sore bones/muscles/tendons, foggy thoughts, memory loss and some others I can't think of right now.

This occurred when I did sports all year long and was in the best show of my life, it's gotten worse and I quit all of those things because I don't have the energy and everyone just assumes I'm lazy.

Went to see a doctor and had blood work done and was prescribed an anti depressant because the doctors computer "detected it"... My levels came back as follows:

PTH 61.1

Calcium 10.4

Vitamin D 32.2

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there

I would definitely be advising the dr that the blood results suggest a physiological reason for your signs and symptoms.

The Vit D is far too low.

You need an urgent referral to an endocrinologist or rheumatologist, to a dietician and also find yourself another GP either in the same practice or elsewhere. You need to act quickly now on these blood results. I assume that a dexa scan has never been offered to you?

Have you had any thyroid screening or food intolerance tests done at all?

You could be gluten intolerant with these signs and symptoms as there is a link between low vit D and gluten intolerance. May I advise that you research.google gluten syndrome and gluten ataxia.

You get feel pretty ill with a low vitamin D. The target range varies byut should not.

32 is way too low. My target range is at least 75. Most people say 120.

Jean

• Posted

I guess I should clarify, these results were from a year ago when my old doctor who sent me for the labs told me "it's a little out of whack, let's wait 3 months blah blah blah here take this ssri. And then 6 months later, "calcium was a little higher but let's wait 3 more months, stay on the ssri"

I had lost my insurance and recently got it back and have a new doctor who I am going to explain this to and show my prior blood labs. Hopefully he sends me to endo with a little bit or nagging on my part.

I assume since my levels were high a year ago to this date that they will be when I get my labs done Friday.

Thank you very much for the quick response Jean! smile

• Posted

Oh and regarding the decade scan, one was never offered to me. And the only thyroid work I had was:

Free T4: 1.18

TSH: 4.04000

• Posted

You have to think about your health now and sack this dr. To suggest SSRI's when it is obvious tha there is a definite metabolic problem is sheer irresponsibility.

Pls research SSRi's and their effects on metabolism.

Are you in the US?

I would simply find another doctor and tell him what your signs and sympoms are etc. Play it by ear and consider showing him or her the old blood results. You need to act quickly because the likelihood is that the vit D levels wll have fallen  and this will send the other tests out o sync as well.Vit D deficiency has to be taken seriously and i am surprised tha this dr has not done so.

Try to get as much written information from the various Vit D Organisations or from the Mayo clinic or John Hopkins UNiversity to show to this dr. Jean

• Posted

Hello Mcmichem1:

You need new blood work. It has to be current.  Things can change over a year. You need to see an Endocrinologist as soon as possible.

Shelly

• Posted

You definitely need a DEXA scan doing.

DO you have a reference range for the blood tests?

Have the thyroid antibodies been tested for?

Jean

• Posted

Thanks for the response as well Shelly.

Yeah Jean, my blood work has reference levels and nothing else is out of check on there(however it said my Vit D levels were normal at 32).Blood sugar,blood cell count, any other odds and ends they could test for are where they should be.

I will definitely mention dexa scan to my doctor when I go Friday.

• Posted

Hello Mcmichem:

Vit D can be low in thyroid patients and 32 is on the low end.  In USA we use 30 to 100 as normal and it should be higher than 32. How old are you please?  Age also has an effect on the level.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Mcmichem:

The Vit. D is a bit on the lower side at (32) & you are young. You need to have new blood work done to show the current thyroid hormone levels.  

Thyroid disease can happen between the ages of 20 to 40 and after pregnancy or later in life during menopause. Many of your symptoms match up with thyroid disease. Please go back to your doctor or find a better one and have your blood work updated. 

Vit D is very important to feeling well and it makes muscle pains when it is low. If it stays low it will cause brittle bones and more muscle aches.  You can take a good Multivitamin with iron and Vitamin D.

Keep us updated on how you do with this problem.  Shelly

• Posted

I read on the parathyroid web site that anything over 10.1for calcium levels indicates a benign tumour.  They also state that most doctors have the same attitude,a little high and lets see howit is in a few months.....

They suggest seeing a different doctor.  I am going through it all now too, same kind of symptoms, also acid reflux and this is also a symptom of parathyroidism. It was actually me that spoketo my doctor about my concern with my low vit d, after suffering lots of mouth ulcers. I told him I had been researching it, and after somethough he listened and agreed and has now done the relevant blood tests for parathyroid tumour.  Just waiting for results now, but it looks pretty certain and yours is likely to be the same.  A simple operation can change our lives somuch! More energy andless pain so obviously we will get our lives back!! I can't wait.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hello Mcmichem:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Your calcium is just a tad over normal values (8.6 to 10.3) and that could be watched and see if it stays high. Your Vit D is on the lower side but normal is (30-100) in USA. 

Your thyroid  hormone controls energy, metabolism, ability to concentrate, and your periods. Some of the low symptoms are:  Gaining weight, feeling cold, lack of energy, feelings moody or depressed, brain fog, brittle nails and dry skin, losing hair, lack of periods. 

Your doctor needs to test your thyroid and you need blood work done such as: TSH level, T4 and T3 hormone levels. Did you have any of that done?  If so, what were your levels?  Please ask for a copy of the blood work to keep. You should see an Endocrinologist who handles glands like the Thyroid & Parathyroid.

If you did not have the above thyroid levels done then ask for it. Once it comes back you will be diagnosed. Keep a log of your symptoms and show it to your doctor. They have replacement thyroid hormone which will help.

Antidepressents won't help your thyroid hormone, but may make you feel better. What do you mean the computer "detected it?"  I know people can have a low seritonin level, and that is blood work.

Stay well, and please if you match many of the symptoms above seek a referal to an Endocrinologist.

Shelly

• Posted

The doctor said a bunch of stuff that sounded stupid to me. She asked me questions about fatigue, energy level, eating habits and typed them into her little program and based them off what her little computer program said. Honestly it's rather annoying.
    • Posted

Sounds like she is reading stuff as if off a script or auto cue.

I can only reiterate what Shellly has said , that is to see an endocrinologogist who knows a lot about the thyroid, parathyroid.

May I suggest that you write down your signs and symptoms, do a couple of copies. Present one to your dr , keep one in your hnd during the consultation and keep one at home. make notes on your copy at the time of the consultation.

Include the fact that as of yet youhave nothad a dexa scan to check for osteoporosis.

Jean.

• Posted

Hello Mcmichem:

It is weird to do that. I think you need to have proper blood levels done. Someof your symptoms are of Hypothyroid and need to be checked by new blood work.

Please ask for TSH level, T4 and T3 levels as a start.  It really is very important.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.