Debilitating lower left abdominal pain when exercising.

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I exercise, or sometimes even when I just walk around places, my lower left abdomen hurts. I can’t run anymore and haven’t been able to for a year. I don’t even get tired when I run, my side just hurts unbearably. I’ve been told all sorts of things, but I’d like to hear more opinions about it. I haven’t brought it up with my doctors recently because I’ve been ignored in the past and, to be frank, I haven’t been very active recently, so I haven’t felt much pain from it. 

The only reason I bring this up now is because I want I start exercising regularly again, but the pain is hindering that. Any idea what it is?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could be a pulled muscle or strain. You need to point the doctor in the right direction by explaining precisely where and what you feel and when. Tell your doctor that you want to begin exercising again but you are unable to because of the sharp pain you feel.
  • Posted

please read up under:

Exercise-related abdominal pain as a manifestation of the median arcuate ligament syndrome

• Posted

The

ncbi link

is the one especially for you,

"Exercise-related transient abdominal pain (ETAP)"

It's typical for athletes with a 'stitch' or 'cramp' when exercising, so much, that they give up being active.

It will never 'just heal'. It's an anatomical predisposition.

The test to go is ultrasound of Coeliac Artery in supine, upright and after exercise in inspiration and expiration. Please find an imaging center, that has tested for it before.

Some CTA MRA do not show it and HAVE to be done in expiration breath hold (again, not all imaging facilities know that)

From there often that is enough, some have to do diagnostic coeliac nerve blocks or intravascular pressure measurements plus vasodilators to measure reaction and effect (the definite test for MALS), but sometimes the less invasive imaging (like ultrasound) plus symptoms are pretty clear cut.

Also for exclusion.

All the best!

• Posted

Thank you very much! I’ll definitely read these and get in to a doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.