Decapeptyl injection or vaginal hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I met with my consultant yesterday who through a spammer in the works by offering this injection to shrink my ovaries & therefore stop any periods & reduce migraines. I hadn't heard about the injection & now I have a week to decide between the injection or a vaginal hysterectomy. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this injection? I don't want to waste time with the injection if I will need to have an hysterectomy at a later date xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Never heard of this.  Have you googled it? Poor you. such a decision. Wishing you well. x
  • Posted

Is the injection Lupron? Are you saying the sole reason for having the injection or the hysterectomy is to reduce migraines? I've heard of women having a hysterectomy to reduce migraines only to have migraines worsen after the surgery. Plus hysterectomy (uterus removal) causes a whole new list of problems in the long-term which are even worse if the ovaries are also removed. Unfortunately, our organs are treated as if solely for reproduction but they have life long functions. 

• Posted

I crimping a side effect would relieve my migraines. I suffer with very heavy & prolonged periods with crippling pain xx

• Posted

I'm sorry for that! I saw that you're 49 so probably close to menopause. So it would seem reasonable to try to manage it with some type of medication versus hysterectomy that would leave you with the permanent negatives of that procedure.

I assume you've already tried other hormonal and non-hormonal options? One that I hear time and again that many are unaware of and seldom mentioned by gynecologists is tranexamic acid (Lysteda here in the U.S.). It's a non-hormonal prescription medication that you take only during your period. One study says it reduces bleeding by 40%. Another says 40-65%.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!

• Posted

HI, there, so sorry you're going through this.  I've never heard of this drug!  My suggestion is that you look on the web, thoroughly, for all side effects of this drug.  Anything that is capable of shrinking your ovaries that much is a very powerful chemical, especially if it only takes 1 shot to do it! 

This type of medication might make you more sick and miserable than having a hysterectomy!

Best of luck, and let me know how you get on! xxx

• Posted

Is it called zoladex ? What are you taking it for ? I was on it for 5

Months to stop my bleeding as I have now been bleeding for 3 and and a half years !

and truely had the worst side effects high blood pressure, fast heart rate, nausea, vommoting, wait gain, hot flushes. Mood swings and aching bones and was told to stop . It puts you into a false menopause and gives you all the side effects. It also didn't stop my bleeding however I know 2 others who have had it the side effects where bad but it did help them in some aspects.

I am booked in for a hysterectomy for 3 weeks, but depending on your age maybe it is best to trial the zoladex even for a few months it may work for you.

• Posted

Hello, again.

I looked up the drug on line.  You are using the correct name of the drug.  It is used to treat prostate cancer in men, as well as endometriosis in women.  Women get one injection every 3 months with a maximum of six months of treatment for this medication, according to the info I found.

It can cause a decrease in bone mass of approximately 1% for each month during the treatment.  Bone mass generally returns after treatment.  I didn't review the other side effects.

It appears to me that if you elect this treatment, it might result in 6% bone loas, which you could recoup.  However, it would only buy you six months.

Hope this helps! xx

• Posted

I think the consultant is hoping as I'm already 49 that I will only need the six injections xx

• Posted

Well, I belive that this may be one injection every 3 months, but please do your own search!
    • Posted

I was given the choice to have 1 jag each month for six months or I jag every three months xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.