Decapeptyl v's hysterectomy???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I was all set to have a hysterectomy when the consultant threw me by offering a monthly injection to shrink my ovaries. Has anyone here had experience of this injection (Decapeptyl)? It feels like overkill having major surgery if a course of injections will do the job. Then I googled it and it shuts down the pituitary gland not just my ovaries. Now I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly received xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

A hysterectomy may end some problems but all too often girls are ending up with a whole raft of problems post-op that will be with them forever. I would avoid the op wherever possible. But depends on why you were requesting it? Lots on here wish they never had it done. If any hint of cancer, then of course you have no choice. I also have wondered a lot about having it all yanked out vaginally & the internal damage that must cause. Surely the Surgeon can't clearly see everything like nerves that could get inadvertently damaged etc. That's just my personal feeling. Periods can be totally crap, but mostly there is a light at the end of the tunnel with menopause. But some of the post-op complications cannot be cured for rest of life.

• Posted

I had a TAH 4mths ago and I really regret having it . I have more ache and lower abdominal pain . My bowel movements are not normal . I have to take a laxative , just to have a bowel movement . I'm 44 and my sex life has changed , my desire for sex is never . I'm just depress and miserable all the time . Help does anyone else feel this way .

• Posted

Unfortunately you're not alone Veronica. So often the reason for having hysterectomy was easier to live with than the aftermath. Some Dr's are far too keen to just take all our girl bits out without considering long term effects. Why did you opt for it? My Gynae I had during my 40's dissuaded me at each consult. He was head of NZ Medical Council at the time and very aware that the removal is not a confirmed cure of girl problems. Cancer is a different matter of course. Some girls have no option with that.

• Posted

Hi, there.  So it appears that you're back to square one.  May I ask your age?  I'm sorry if I'm asking for information that you've already posted.  And the purpose of the hysterectomy? 

I had one two months ago, and so far all is well.  I am 67; and went through menopause many years ago.  So, I don't have many problems related to estrogen loss.  In fact, I'm now on a med that doesn't allow my body to produce estrogen at all.   

Please research how the body creates hormones after removal of the ovaries, including estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.  I had nonfunctioning ovaries and still had so much estrogen that I developed endometrial cancer. That's because fat produces estrogen, too.

Please recognize that your female organs won't be ripped out through your vagina! I had my female bits taken out that way with no problems.  I had no bleeding afterwards. Most key hole surgery, and robotic surgery is done with the surgeon having sufficient access to the site without destroying it.

I know some women really regret having a total abdominal hysterectomy.  For some it represents loss of their femininity.  For others it presents challenges because of loss of hormone production.  Hormones are powerful substances, but if appropriate hormones can be dispensed to you.

My daughter is a nurse.  She's not yet 45. She had a couple of bad pap smears and worried about the future, would she continue to have problems with tissue displasia in her cervix, would she start having tissue displasia in her uterus and go for years having those problems (with bleeding, procedure after procedure and test after test) and the accompanying fear?  She opted for a hysterectomy but she kept her ovaries. She didn't hope that menopause would bring her relief.

There are women who have done lots of research and will tell you not to do it.  Women who have done it who regret it. And, there are others like me.  No decision is without consequences. You have to make the decision that you feel is best for you and the decision you make will be the right one.  

Best of luck to you!  Private message me if it will help! xx       

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.