Deciding about the Mona Lisa Laser Procedure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Starting another discussion.....to try and get some more support. Thank you so much to Donna for talking to me! I am struggling to make the decision to go ahead with the Mona Lisa Touch for Vaginal Atrophy. I have done a lot of research because even though I trust my doctor of many years, I couldn't help feeling like it was being "pushed" like a sales thing.....my research tells me it is very new of course, so no known long term side effects. Also that getting the FDA approval was not nearly as stringent as it is with new drug approvals. The results from women who have had the procedure is very positive, its just that its new, so there is still not a ton of info. For me, it comes down to this. I can manage my symptoms of the VA with vaginal estrogen. I cannot take oral tablets dues to breast cancer. If I do not do the ML I can say without a doubt my sex life is over. I am almost 60, so maybe its okay? My husband and I have been married almost 36 years. He understands and we are close in other ways. This is a huge decision. I feel guilty about the money. I feel like there is no one I can personally talk to about this. 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My heart goes out to you and all of us...such an important decision and it is hard with not a lot of information out there about Mona Lisa Treatments as well as VA.  I am 65 and have friends around that age......non are suffering from this or has ever heard of VA or AV!  As mentioned we need to call our insurance and inquire about covering for those who are suffering from this.

Best Regards.

Wendy

• Posted

Thank you! Its nice that you can talk to other women about it....I have one friend that I know I could with but she does not live near me and I cannot do it on the phone. I have my husband, and I have all of you. That's it. I think for some women it just doesn't become an issue until much later.....but for others like us, we suffer. Or maybe the vast majority of other women are able to take HRT and that makes a huge difference....I just don't know. But yeah, to my knowledge I don't know of anyone else suffering with this. And then to add insult to injury its called cosmetic!! Thanks again, and hope you do well!

• Posted

I think a lot of us are in this same boat. I talked to my GP yesterday at my appt and she seems just to not be very informed. she did tell me I could up my dose of yuva fem to how ever many days I wanted to use it. And then when I have comfort I can back off. when I asked her about the Mona lisa she said go for it. But like you Marianne the yuvafem has made things better. Not perfect. But I really cannot come up with $2000 right now.

I've been married 40 years but at 62 I'm not ready to give up my sex life. At the same time it is out of the question, I would not be able to do it at all. I think my marriage is strong but it is sad to think that part is just over. 

No one I know even knows what I'm talking about when I tell them what's wrong. They assume it's like a yeast infection instead of the unbearable pain and burning. even my best friend of 25 years seems to roll her eyes. And until I found this page I was seriously depressed. It has been a life saver for me. 

One of the problems I have with the Mona Lisa is I have a serious allergy to lidocaine , I will get hives and face swelling getting anywhere near it. My husband just had eye surgery and I broke out just being in the same room when they put it in his eyes. And of course lidocaine is used for everything including the mona lisa. When I go to the dentist I have to have a special numbing agent ordered. 

I don't know I just hope when I do get ready for the mona lisa it will work. But for now I'm just trying to keep myself working and at a level of discomfort I can live with

• Posted

It is a godsend having this forum, and reading posts like yours. I realized I am not alone, which honestly I felt I was before. Another day, and I am still undecided. Please forgive me cause I know I am repeating myself on here....but it has become crystal clear to me that the main reason for the ML is to possibly regain a sex life with hubby. Without going into other details we have other  complications, so even with ML I am not sure that will actually happen. I know after using the vagifem and or Premarin I can be symptom free. But will the atrophy get worse even with using them? Does anyone really know?? Could I hold off a couple years until the insurance covers ML?? I just don't want to spend the money and end up in the same situation. A small piece of me is also concerned that it is so new, and there are no long term studies for side effects. I have had cancer twice, chemo, radiation, breast reconstruction, a subcervical hysterectomy, back surgery. Part of me doesn't want to put my body through any more. But then, I know the ML is not surgery, not invasive, and from most of what I read a wonderful lifestyle changer. So around and around I go. Again, sharing with you, Donna, and others and hearing your stories and input is support I really desperately need right now. I have no one else.

• Posted

Alexandria, I think everyone is different and will respond differently and it is probably just taking your body a little longer than some. Don't get too discouraged! You will most likely see results soon. Right now I can't spend the money, but I do think ML by far the best thing to happen for VA. Keep me posted please, and take good care!!

• Posted

I understand your indecision completely. To me the main reason for having the ML is to have a pain free life again. I have never got to symptom free yet. Although the yuvafem three times a week has finally improved it so that my bad days seem few right now. And my doctor said I could use it every night if I wanted to. So I may increase it again and see what happens. From that morning last August I woke up feeling like a fire was raging inside I have had some degree of pain every single day. In the beginning weeks I would wake up after only a couple hours sleep shaking from head to toe in pain. finally my husband insisted they give me something for the pain while waiting for the estrace to work. They prescribed norco. I sat with ice packs between my legs. I couldn't work, walk sit upright in a chair. Simply layed in the recliner crying. So when I think about how far I have come with the hormones I am grateful. At least now I can function again. But Being 75 % better forever does not make me happy. So I keep thinking about the ML. I'm waiting for now.

I don't think you will get worse as long as you keep taking the vagifem and premarin. But I have missed a dose before and could tell it the very next day,

One of my concerns of ML is my allergic reaction to lidocaine last year. I can only use carbocaine after allergy testing and no one seems to have it. I had to have a fine needle thyroid biopsy and had to go through it without being numbed and that was rough. And this might sound crazy but I am actually afraid of the ML machine and room because they use lidocaine in the room. I was with my husband when he had eye surgery a couple of months ago and I broke out in hives just being in the room with him when they put it in his eyes. ugh !

Either way you are not alone as you have found out, this site saved me in the beginning, And believe me no one cares if you repeat yourself we are all stuck in the same boat

• Posted

My heart goes out to you Donna, my god, to endure such pain! It sounds like it was absolutely debilitating. What the heck did women do a hundred years ago before vagi-fem, and premarin.....or for that matter 50 years ago. Or less......I can't imagine my mom, or my aunts talking about this. 

Anyway, I am so glad you are better.....and hopefully it sounds like you will continue to improve.

In today's world it is not conceivable that they don't have another numbing agent......that is just hard to believe. So we'll add that to our list along with getting insurance to cover ML. Eventually its going to work out for all of us. This must be our mantra.....it will get better and better.

Thank you for making me feel less alone!! And please keep in touch.

Oh, in case you ever decide take premarin along with the vagi-fem....some insurance companies (mine) have a copay that is higher than most scripts cause there is no generic. But Pfeizer offers a card that brings the copay down to $15.00. Its on Premarin's websiet, and you just call to activate, then take to pharmacy. 

Thanks again, and take good care!

Marianne

• Posted

you would think they would have something else for numbing. lidocaine is just so widely used
  • Posted

Hi Marianne!

I have had three mona lisa treatments. The last three days ago.  So far I have had zero improvement, but my doctor and others on this site said that I probably wouldn't find relief until two months after last treatment.  Many women get great results.  I am uncertain if it will work for me.  So far I am still suffering.  Some women get relief after first treatment, many after two.  I am very discouraged so far but I have severe buring 24/7 inside my vagina and it is impacting my life greatly in a negative way.  If your problem is just pain with intercourse perhaps you should give Mona Lisa a try.  It has helped many.. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Hello Alexandria, I see your message was a few weeks back and I apologise for the delay.....I have been out of town, Also I apologise if I did already reply lol......I seem to be very forgetful lately. Anyway, I am very much hoping you are seeing some improvement at this point. My worry is that I would be that small percent that does not improve after going through so much. Hopefully this is NOT the case for you. Please keep us updated and I will think positive for you!!
  • Posted

Ok, I've had CML (lukemia), and then a bone marrow transplant, followed by intense chemo and radiation at 33 which left me sterile and in menopause, I was able to take premarin and other hormones (it was in the 80's and 90's) but developed breast cancer so ALL hormones were off the list.   Now at 62 sex just doesn't happen - too much pain, I feel like I shrunk (at the opening) and that it is too painful.  I just really need to know does the ML work!  You would think insurance would pay after all my medical issues

• Posted

I have had my first MLT a month ago ( second due this week ) I managed almost pain free sex this weekend , the skin looks healthier .

My consultant does NOT use Lidnocaine , as it does a better job without , NOTHING aid applied to the area for 3 days afterwards.....yes it hurt during , not internally , externally , afterwards felt like I was sitting on a bombfire , but I coped.

She said ice packs if neeeded......so for those who can't use lidocaine you don't need it , and the procedure works better without the use of lidocaine anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.