Deciding to have PCDF & ACDF surgeries. help!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All! New Here!

Just to warn you this is a little lengthy (embarrassedJ so I truly appreciate whoever takes time from their busy day to read it.

In 2009, I was diagnosed with Thoracic Osteoarthritis, Degenerative Disc Disease, and Fibromyalgia - and in November 2015 diagnosed with Cervical Radiculopathy. As you see, I have dealt with chronic pain for a long time, and I am tired of it – it’s exhausting and limits my day to day activities.

Anyway based on my MRI results and my physical symptoms - the surgeon diagnosed me with Cervical Radiculopathy and *suggested* a Posterior Cervical Decompression (PCDF) as well as an Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion, ( ACDF).  No pressure … he told me to just think it over and referred me to Physical Therapy.

Since the diagnosis, I am doing a ton of research and educating myself about my condition and the surgery.

Last week I asked my physical therapist what she thought of the surgery and she said, “I had time to have the surgery later”. (I’m 63 and not clear about what “later” even means smile This week my primary care doctor said outright, that I do not want this surgery because it may not relieve the numbness and pain, and does nothing for the arthritis in my neck, and there will be issues with scar tissue and that my condition is not that bad – yet. He suggested I get a second opinion. I agreed to get a second opinion.

Cervical Radiculopathy Timeline

January 2015 I developed a pinch nerve in the left side of my neck along with the slow progression of excruciating numbness and/or pain in my arm, fingers and thigh. In June 2015, my primary care doctor diagnosed me with pinch nerve and referred me to PT along with the suggestion that I get a back massage. I had tried PT before for my osteoarthritis and hated it. So, I decided to try yoga instead.

Through yoga, I relieved most of the thigh and neck pain and increased my range of motion. However, the numbness and pain in my fingers and in my arm became worse - along with the loss of grip strength. I informed my primary care Dr. in Oct of 2015, he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, who of course ordered an MRI.

As I said, based on the test results, the surgeon suggested surgery but wanted me to first try physical therapy, this time I went. I started twice weekly therapy sessions in November 2015 and so far it’s effective. After 6 weeks of passive exercises, my arm pain had diminished significantly and the numbness decreased to a ‘low buzz’.

Because I was progressing so well - the week of Christmas 2015 the therapist changed to more aggressive exercises (10 mins on the treadmill, resistance bands, etc) I felt ok while there. However, by the time I returned home after the session the pain in my neck and back was out of control. I had learned many PT pain intervention techniques and I tried them all but the pain escalated. Numbness increased significantly in my thumb. In addition to that I now not only have pain on the left side of my neck but also the right - along with a considerable decrease in my range of motion on both sides of my neck. My grip strength decreased almost immediately and I am dropping things again.  Thought it best to cancel my next appointment, ha-ha! Although I feel better, today I am still in pain - most movements makes it worse. At this point, I’m confused and not sure what to do next. My next PT appointment is on Jan 5th and I see the surgeon on Jan 19 to inform him of my decision.

My questions.

1.      Without ongoing physical therapy –(i.e. the rest of my life) will the symptoms of Cervical Radiculopathy return? (Anyone have experience with this?)

2.      With degenerative disc disease, overtime, will my disc continue to lose height and stack on top of one another causing even more pain? (So far because of this I’ve lost 2” in height.)

3.      From the point of being diagnosed with Cervical Radiculopathy what is the longest time anyone has waited in deciding to have the surgery or not to have surgery?

4.      Why would waiting for the symptoms to get worse be beneficial to obtaining a positive outcome or to justify the surgery?

5.      Finally, why are some medical professionals against having this surgery? Has anyone experienced being discouraged from having the procedure and how did it influence your decision to have or not have the surgery?

I thoroughly understand this is a major surgery with a very rough and long recovery period. To be honest at age 63 – I am more worried about recovering from the anesthesia and if my body can withstand the actual length of the surgery, and those factors are certainly not going to get better as I age.

I also understand that I need to rely on the medical professionals’ opinions however, I have been ‘burnt’ in the past with so-called medical opinions. That is why I am seeking experiences related to this from ‘normal’ folks ---I need a different perspective from people who have dealt with this process. 

Thanks so much for any feedback!

MRI Results

At C3-C4, mild diffuse disc bulge results in no significant canal or neuroforaminal compromise.

At C4-C5, posterior disc osteophyte complex with left-sided uncovertebral arthrosis results in mild narrowing of the left neural foramen. The canal and right neural foramen are patent.

At C5-C6, posterior disc osteophyte complex and facet and uncovertebral arthrosis results in mild to moderate canal and mild bilateral neural foraminal compromise.

At C6-C7, posterior disc osteophyte complex and facet and uncovertebral arthrosis results in mild to moderate canal and mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, you have a lot to bear and to decide!

You are in the right place though!

It will not take too long for you to get the answers you want and you need.

I want to send you a good word and to wish you the outcome you are looking for.

Everything is possible!

Wish you the very best !

• Posted

thanks so much for the words of support and welcome! 

After I wrote that it dawned on me I'm probably reaching out for support ...some other voices besides mine and doctors.

• Posted

You are very welcome!

No, koko, you are not giving such an impression!

This is what Forums are for - to exchange experiences, to give suggestions when we know about the issue.

When I don't know I reply anyway with a good word.

Myself I feel great when I get a reply - it makes me feel I am not alone.

• Posted

Hello

i had acdf 2 years ago amazingly good results and am now awaiting back fusion on the 20th

hope you soon get sorted I nurse and am the biggest wimp going but the neck was okayx

• Posted

Hello Ellen!

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm a wimp too lol!

It's good to know the results of your ACDF surgery went well. My surgeon said it's about improving my 'quality of life' and  pain should not dictate everything I do or can't do. Makes sense to me!

wish you well on your upcoming surgery please keep me posted.

• Posted

Hey there Ellen, I have a question (if you care to answersmile

You said you are satisfied with the results of your surgery. Was it difficult for you to make the decision to have the acdf surgery? 

• Posted

No koko because I was in agony and felt as though I had a paralysed arm too.
    • Posted

My goodness Ellen, I'm sincerely glad the surgery worked for you - it's encouraging. thanks for the reply! 
    • Posted

Hi I'm now postponed for back op such a crap week had HR bitch really having a go and op has been put way back because the NHS is so full
    • Posted

Oh no Ellen!...So sorry to hear. You were all set and then they

cancel?? That has to be awful....I can't imagine

• Posted

Worst bit is it was workplace accident,I'm being literally Hounded by HR with a meeting again tomorrow,they wanted to have final formal meeting but thank god my daughter read sickness policy and found a clause,it's now been reverted to case conference.I can't get fixed as the hospital is so full.

The HR woman is a B....

thank you for taking time to replyx

• Posted

Just checking on you...hope you're feeling a little better today.

• Posted

Koko thank you so much for your kind thoughts,face the 3 dragons today.

hope you are getting on better,where do you live I'm in uk

• Posted

Hi thank you for replying

i face the three dragons this late pm.the main dragon being the HR thing

i have Union coming with me,still very nervousx

• Posted

Ellen, I'm so glad you have the Union coming with you.  I would say you definitely need representation if the HR people are acting that way.  Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.