Decision on second surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I had a myomectomy via keyhole surgery to remove a grapefruit sized fibroid back in early December, I have healed very well although the 6 weeks quoted via literature was not so accurate I'm just getting back to full activities and energy levels at nearly 12 weeks.

I'm due to see my Gyne for a follow up tomorrow to confirm the small hematoma at my last check up has cleared up and discuss the second surgery to remove the small fibroid in the cavity of my womb which is causing the heavy periods.

I will be having a hysterocopic transvaginal resection this second time round which is much less evasive and I was wondering if anyone has had the procedure before? What was your recovery like? How was the internal scarring inside the womb? Did you have successful pregnancy after the procedure?

Any advice or help anyone can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Marsha

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You shouldn't have surgeries anymore these procedures are the worst.I would just have them embolizated and be done with them. Any fibroids that you remove will grow back in 3 yrs because the seed is still there. But if you have them embolizated then it is always something in that space and they will not grow back BC it is a raise size fibroid. The doctor do theses procedures because people keep coming back. You pay so much money to repeated procedures. I had a removel and two grew back twice the size.

• Posted

Hi jess

Just wondered if you have had the embolization done and was it successful?

• Posted

Fibroids don't have 'seeds'.  They have been compared for size to seeds, but they do not have 'seeds'.  They grow attached inside, outside and in the walls of the uterus.  Hormones effect the speed of growth and blood supply feeds them.  So as long as we have hormones and arteries to the uterus, they will grow.  Over 50% of women will have fibroids before they are 50 years old.  

• Posted

Hi Marsha happy to hear you have recovered from your keyhole myomectomy, most surgeons suggest 6 weeks recovery after myomectomy by that they mean time off from work, no lifting etc. But the actual time of recovery for any surgery can take longer, I had 32 fibroids removed by open myomectomy and although I started feeling better at 3 weeks, it takes 6 months for the womb to heal and in some cases 1 year depeding of the amount of fibroids.  With yours being a hyteroscopic transvaginal resection, you womb should heal much quicker than your keyhole myomectomy and especially since you only have 1 small fibroid. Your surgeon shoudl be able to advice you how soon after your procedure you can try for pregnancy. For anyone wanting pregnancy removal of fibroids keyhole, open or transvaginal is still your best option. Embolisation is not a recommended option for those wanting a pregnancy.   Internal scarring can be checked after a period of time after the procedure by an MRI scan. Look forward to your procedure and planning your pregnancy. Many people have successful pregnancies after removal of fibroids via myomectomy. All the best.
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement it's really helpful f91864 :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.