Decision to be made.

Posted , 8 users are following.

i saw the Consultant on Monday, I thought to start the proces for the first knee replacement but it's not that simple! It was arranged through NHS Choices and if I was paying I would have chosen him as he is very nice extremely well  qualified. However I am 59, can walk reasonable distance (eg to the shops) even though it hurts, no significant pain when resting but difficulty with stairs and getting up from chairs etc. An arthroscopy four years ago showed a lot of problems leading to me be told I would need the joints replacing in both knees and he acknowledges this is probably worse now than then. He advised me that a new joint would have a life expectancy of only 12 to 15 years which would mean it is likely I would have to have it done again(!!!) Any replacement would likely be less successful and more problematic.  He said TKR in younger patients (me!) is often not as successful as in older ones as there is a greater expectancy to be able do more and this can lead to disappointment in the outcome. 

He he explained that the easy option for him is just to do the surgery but that may not be the best option for me. He wanted to get up to date X-rays and to see me again to discuss everything.

I was initially disappointed as I had built myself up to having the operation and was armed with a whole list of questions about aftercare, dates etc but realise the wisdom of his words. I think I was thinking if it needs doing just get it done and work hard and get over it but if I would have to go through it all again....!!!!

Xrays (lots of theme) were done yesterday and I have an appointment to see him on 10 November which is the next date he is at that hospital. 

I cannot not stress how impressed I have been with NHS Choices and how quickly everything has been arranged.

So.....any advice from the voices of experience on this forum!!

Many thanks for wading through all my waffle and probable mistakes with predictive text. 

Gill XX

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

not sure whay chose and book means in different areas , i started with them , but was sent to the local hospital , the surgeon was the same had i gone private , i know you have the right to chose which hospital you go in , i just looked at the local ones and went for the one with the shortest list .when i first went through chose and book all i did was have one appointment where i had an injection in my knee ,( which didnt work )then i was passed back to the doctors with check up , my gp was not pleased amd just got in touch direct to the hospital , so glad its working for you .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                as for the tkr ,im 53 and have been off work 18 months due to the pain in both knees , and was told the same , i wanted it done so that i can get back to a normal life , i wasnt over impressed with the excuse of how lond it lasted etc , 12 months ago i saw the surgeon who would be doing the opp ,he sent me for an mri scan ,which i would have to wait 4 weks for and then he would see me 4 weeks after that , ( the christmas hols slowing things down ) . i saw him at the end of jan and he sai it defo needed doing and put me on the list ,now 9 months later ive had both knees done and im going back to work monday ,ithink its the best thing i did , there are some things ive not done like kneeling , sitting down on the floor and i do walk a little slower , but i can walk up and down stairs , drive , sit down in the bath ,over all i can do more now than this time last year ,so for me thats a bonus . i do still have a strange feeling at the sides of both knees , the numb side ,this can take up to 2 years , so you have to work out how much the pain bothers you ,this op is a big one and very painful , with lots of times you wonder why did i do it , but 3 months after my 2 nd its all over and i know my choice was right , just weigh it up and decide whats best for you , good luck x 
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie. I'm glad it's going well for you after having both done. All the information has given me plenty to think about! Good luck in work on Monday!

Kind regards,

Gill X

• Posted

it would be normal to try insoles and leg braces ,befor an op like this x
    • Posted

I'm in the U.S. and 76 and doing all I know to keep my problem knee....I wear velcroe support and use a great homeopathic pain cream and looking closer at Prolozone injections (oxygen and vit B solutions)....

Stem cells are on the horizon and from all I hear about these replacements,   good grief, do all you can to keep bending....I take glucosamine, ligaplex for ligaments/tendons and omega 3's and good dose of magnesium thru the day......

Granted I'm totally retired and walk where I need to go, no cane etc....but my knee got all worse since hip replacement mess in 2010.....so these surgeries do not come without issues and lots of pain and often complications......my 2cents from southern california...J

4 Ibuprofen per day works pretty good for me and I take DGL for stomach protection and milk thistle for years for liver support.....

So there is much we can do to NOT do these surgeries, I believe.    

• Posted

Hi, I had 2 arthroscopies over ten years and then had to wait until I was 65 for my TKR. Yes, it is very painful, but at 5 weeks after, I realised that the pain I am in now is less than before my op.

My bend isn't good, but getting better and each day I seem to achieve little gems ( I can walk upstairs properly today).

My thoughts on the 12 - 15 year is that a lot can happen in that time and they are making surgical breakthroughs all the time.

The knee injury is probably the most common in sports and so new ways are being researched.

Carol - Perth Australia, 5 weeks post op

• Posted

When a new knee was first mentioned I was around 50 and at that time had private insurance. My surgeon said I should have it done but I put it off until now for the same reasons that you have mentioned. He said that when it reached the stage where either I couldn't sleep for the pain or it interfered with my normal life I should have it done.To put it off was right for me then but things have improved so much over the years and I am sure that in another 15 years a revision will not be the problem it is now. Think of your life and what you want to do with it. If you can't enjoy the life you want then have it done.
    • Posted

I'm 76 and have a good bend and doing all to NOT do a replacement....the ligament/tendon supplement I take now going in month 2 seems to be helping and getting back on glucosamine daily....
    • Posted

I do hope that works for you. I'll probably need to have a revision when I'm about 87 so that will be fun.cry
  • Posted

HI Gill, Hi All,

im in exactly the same position as you now having been told all of the above I have had three ops on each knee due to osteo arthritis now there's nothing else left to be done apart from TKR on the left knee as the inside outside and kneecap have all deteriated so much the pain in the right knee is bearable and I will hold out long as I can but the left is agony cant sleep, cant turn it on a morning, struggle every day I also will need at least one replacement possibly more but I also think points to consider after the most important one ...how much longer can you stand the pain? is that in the next ten years they may be advances that we could have one new joint for ever who knows what will happen but I would rather try live and enjoy my life now in less pain than worry what might happen in however many years when I might not even be here. following my new MRI my consultant said my left knee defo needs it so im booked in for the 6fh January next year age 47!!!! Wish me luck im reading all your posts for helpfull advice too so thank you Tina x

• Posted

Hi Tina1966!

Sorry I had to reply to my own post to reply to yours but I have 'lost' the ability to reply to a post within a post!

i will obviously wait to see what the consultant has to say on Monday evening when I see him when he will have my Xrays but at the moment think I will leave having the op until the pain gets worse. I am ok on flat ground walking but inclines up or down are both more painful as are stairs. I have no pain in the night except for occasionally when I twist my knee getting up. On my first visit he asked about any pain in my groin which I don't get and didn't understand why I would. 

I will ill update this post after my appointment.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and good luck!

Kind regards,

Gill X

• Posted

Hi Gill , I giggled at your reply because I do the same just makes things easier lol I think you know yourself whats best for you and if you can hold on I think I would it shocked me a little hearing about how many knees you may need how many you could realisticly have and furthur complications I wont add because they upset me im sure they will you too I too am not sure about the groin pain question maybe someone could answer it for us will be good to see follow up after your hospital appointment I think even chatting to people who have had the op can help us prepare so to speak good luck ill check back next week although I hate seeing all the mistakes my fingers made with typing on here drives me mad lol and the lovely predictive text typing smile TakeCare Tina x
  • Posted

if you can wait I would because a second knee replacement on the same knee could have complications in surgery.  But that is down the line and it is your decision.

Richard

• Posted

Thanks Richard. It's the thought of needing a second replacement that's putting me off...at the moment. I keep changing my mind what's best. Will go with the consultant's advice I think.

Kind regards,

Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.