Declining thyroid levels.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over the last several years my t3 and t4 levels have been slowly declining towards the low end of the range, tsh is usually on the low end but in normal range. T3 and T4 went below normal now and I was started on armour thyroid last week. Labs were pulled on the same day that I was given the prescription. I just received the results and my t3 and t4 show within the normal range, the was 1.4, and these labs were pulled the day before starting the med. Should I continue taking them? I'm not sure if numbers can fluctuate in and out of normal range. I'm a fireman and have very irregular sleep patterns. So I may or may not feel relief from fatigue if it was a thyroid issue. Anyone experience this with blood work?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi matt, you should be aware that often starting a new thyroid med can take 8 to 12 weeks for the body to properly adjust to it. I take ndt myself and it always takes me 8 weeks to adjust to a dose change. I've heard good things about the medication you have just started taking so I would definitely give it a chance as these things take time. I'm not sure how sleep patterns affect thyroid but I know stress can affect the adrenals which in turn can affect your thyroid in this way. You should also make sure you are taking your medication at the same time each day. Hope this helps

• Posted

Sorry I misread your post... If your labs have been mostly low on whatever meds you were on previously then I would say you have nothing to lose by trying the new one but I couldn't comment without seeing the ranges. T3 is the level you should look at because t4 is just a storage hormone. T3 is what t4 is converted to in the body so if this is still low then ndt is probably a good idea!

• Posted

Thanks for the response. My tsh was 1.24, T3 72, T4 4.2. This has been the levels over the last couple years. The latest blood work had the T3 at 130 and T4 still on the low end. I have been feeling dizzy the past week. I'm an extremely active person, so I'm not too thrilled with that side effect. I'm considering stopping and having some more labs done.

• Posted

Hi matt do you know the ranges for the t3? This see if this result is above below or in the ranges? Have you spoken with your doctor about how you're feeling to get their opinion on what to do as well?

• Posted

Sure do

Tsh 1.24---range .45 to 4.5

T4 5.8---range 4.5 to 12.0

T3 130--- range 71 to 180

Like I said all of my prior labs over the past year have been right over the bottom of the range or below. I definitely have been feeling a little off since starting the meds, minor dizziness and some hot flashes. I'm extremely active and have definitely leaned out with it with no change in diet at all. I'm hoping the side effects wear off as my body adjusts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.