Decompression Discectomy my story so far

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, a week ago today i had decompression discectomy surgery on L5

all has gone well and im home after 3 days in hospital. im on co-codamol and liquid morphine, yes it is uncomfortable to move but the alternative was forever pain!

I have been given exercises from the physio very slight ones to do for two weeks, im not allowed to removed dressing until i see my surgeon next week. yesterday i was able to walk about 2000 steps and only slept for 4 hours in the afternoon! sleep is the key you get tired constantly. My advice is go with the flow, do ad you are told. i was nervous before the operation but aftef 18 months of constant pain i had to do it. good luck to everyone and i want go hear more positive stories

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Oh AJ it sounds like you have been through a really traumatic and painful experience - I just hope and pray that this surgery will make all the difference to your pain levels and quality of life. I can only imagine how tough it must be to go through what you've been through, I've had back pain to a much lesser degree but it has still got me down and I can only empathise.

I believe in God and that He is the great healer, and I'm believing that thanks to Him you are going to be completely pain free again - I truly believe that in my heart, hang in there AJ and thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Dear AJ

I am so pleased that your operation has gone well and wish you every success in your recovery.

I have been suffering for two years now and still awaiting surgery. In March two discs prolapsed and I was rushed i to hospital in excruiating pain where I spent five weeks. Since this time I have been in a wheelchair as cannot stand or walk for more than a few minutes due to the pain. I have been told after several MRI scans that I need a 10 hour operation on my spine including what you have had done but goodness knows when as there is such a long waiting list for spinal surgery. I am so fed up now and have been very depressed at times.

I sincerely hope you continue to improve and that you will be back to feeling well again in the near future.

Best Wishes, Sylvia xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.