Decreased Pregablin a week ago and feeling very low....how long does it last?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

​I am currently coming off of Pregablin, I reduced my dose from 150mg per day to 100mg per day a week ago.  The past week has been awful......I feel so low, tearful, depressed and restless.  I wondered if anyone has also had these nasty withdrawl side effects and how long do they last?

​If I had known what I know now about Pregablin withdrawl I would never have touched it.

​Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

​Donna xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna

?I'm afraid you are tapering too quickly, 50mg at a time is too much for your Brain Chemistry and Central Nervous System to cope with at once. I would recommend that you try to taper slowly 10% of dose at a time so that your withdrawals are not so awful. After each taper take at least one week to stabilise or more if you need to. You have to listen to what your body is telling you. Most withdrawals kick in about the 3-5 days level, although this varies from person to person. We are all so very different but the 10% rule seems to be more achievable than the bigger tapers recommended by Doctors/Consultants. They tell patients 25mg or 50mg drops are fine and there are little withdrawals but in my experience and that of others I am in touch with just causes hard to bear side effects. 

?No-one can tell you how long these nasty withdrawals will last but if you need support coming off this drug there is a Facebook group called Lyrica Survivors that you can join where members interact, help and support each other with understanding and compassion to become Lyrica/Pregabalin free. If you would like to join please reply to me and I will contact a member of the Admin to enable this. 

?I do hope you feel somewhat better soon but remember the lower the drop the lesser withdrawals you will have.

• Posted

Donna, I have just sent you a private message

Liz

• Posted

Thanks Liz, do you think I should continue with the 50mg drop as I have been doing it for a week now, or should i start taking more again?  Thank you so much for your advice.....this is an awful drug to come off of.

​Many thanks

Donna x

• Posted

If your withdrawals are more than you can bear at the moment you could go back up to your original dose until you know how to taper off at 10% level. As I have said earlier, help is available with the method of doing this. It is an awful drug to come off Donna, some have said it is worse than Heroin withdrawal and at least methadone is provided to help with Heroin withdrawals. Give me a little time to think of the best way to help and support you and I will get back to you tomorrow.

Best wishes, Liz Hirst x

• Posted

Hi Liz,

?I've decided to go back up to my original dose until I feel stable enough to taper down slowly.  I wonder how long this will start to kick back in?

• Posted

Hi Donna,

?It could take a few days before you stabilise, you will know when the cloud lifts and you start to feel in control again. At that point if you think the time is right you could start the 10% taper (details on group files) and I will support you as best I can. It is entirely your choice and don't do anything that you feel uncomfortable with. I can only relate my story and 10% taper as going well without too many withdrawals. Just some nausea and sweats (to be expected) and when they lessen, I take another drop. 

• Posted

Hi Liz.  I have gone back to 150mg a couple of days ago......when do you think I might feel ok again after having a week of reduction? and when you taper 10%, how long do you wait before the next drop of 10%?

​Many thanks

​Donna

• Posted

As I have said before Donna, it is a very individual thing - only you can make the decision as and when you decrease and by how much. Your must listen to your body really....if you are feeling nausea and fatigue etc. after a drop it is best to wait until that stops before another taper. It could be anything from a few days to weeks. Also you need a few days of stabilisation before dropping again. 10% drops are recommended but this is not always suitable for all, you may only be able to drop 5% if withdrawals are bad for you. It is not an easy thing to come off such a powerful drug and honestly, slowly is always best. It doesn't matter how long it takes you, just that you don't suffer too much with w/d's. How do you feel now you have gone back to original dose?

Let me know how you are before you start the taper. x

• Posted

It may take a week or longer to stabilise .. I'm afraid . You will know when you have that horrible nausea and foggy head will have gone . Sorry your suffering like this Donna .. Tracey Lyrica survivors 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice.....I am feeling slightly better today but not stable enough yet to drop, so I will wait until I feel ready.  Thanks for your advice....it's good to speak to people who have actually been through this. xx

• Posted

Hi Donna I'm admin from lyrica survivors if you add liz as a friend or myself then I can add you into the site ... liz is 1000% correct in every bit of info she has given you . We can support you if you need . Tracey x

• Posted

Thank you Tracey, its good to know there is support out there.....I will speak to Liz on private message regarding joining the facebook group.

Many thanks

Donna x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.