Decreasing Gabapentin, increasing Methotrexate

Posted , 4 users are following.

Decreasing gabapentin dosage and increasing methotrexate dosage at the same time probably wasn’t a good idea, but just happened to see both doctors in same week. I feel like I have morning sickness all the time. It is very hard to teach and feel this way. I’m wondering if the awful nausea is from decreasing the gabapentin or increasing the methotrexate from 8 pills to 10 pills once/week?? Gabapentin was at 600mg/day, gradually weaning to 400. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've been on Gab. for 5 weeks...slowly going from 1-300mg a day to 4-300mg a day with no help with my siactic nerve from my butt to me feet.  Over this last weekend could hardly walk.  Sometimes now using a walker.  Called my VA Dr. Monday at 9am....waited the entire day...no call back.  Waited to 12 noon to call today....no call back.  Have a trip planned since November to go to S. Dakota 06/07-06/15.  Want to be able to make it...thats why I'm looking for my plan B from my Dr.

• Posted

I am lucky; the gabapentin helped my leg nerve pain immensely. Good luck. Hope you find help.
  • Posted

I was nauseous for a month!  I ended us taking magnesium and wearing c-bands to help.  It’s been 3 days with no nausea so I’m hoping I am in the clear.   I had weaned down from 900 mg per day over the course of 4 months but only the final stopping made me sick. Good luck!
  • Posted

I didn't have nausea with withdrawing from Gabpapentin Im down to 100mg from 900 mg.  My biggest problems are short term memory loss eye problems and heart palpitations. The heart palpitations  happen when I feel I want a pill. Many other people have mentioned feeling sick though.  Some have suggested taking magnesium oil to helpthe withdraw from Gabpapentin. All I know is I want my life back.  Please take care.

• Posted

My Dr. called today and still wants me on it.  I take 4 300mg a day...but my Dr. just upped it to 1800 a day.  We'll see.

• Posted

Well, feeling much better today, even after taking the new decrease in gabapentin. Actually feeling more myself, and not so much a zombie. So the bad news is that the increase in the methotrexate is the culprit in making me nauseous. I’ll give the increase another try this weekend, but if I’m as nauseous as I was this week, I’d rather have an RA flare up then feel sick to my stomach all the time! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.