Deep breathing, yawning and anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have the same issues. I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks since I was 15 and now I am 34. About 6 months ago they became huge. I was having 2 maybe 3 a day. The relief that i felt when they were over was like winning the lottery me. The doctor put me on meds for the attacks and they have some what subsided. He checked my lungs and they were clear. My blood work was fine but I got into the habit of deep breathing and yawning. I was concerned that I had a problem with my lungs, that I might have COPD and that one day my lungs are just going to give out.. this is a scary thing because even though people say it's nothing to worry about the brain takes over and goes into protective mode causing anxiety and worry. To read your story's and symptoms gives me a sense of calm. I wonder if this will go away on its own or is it a permanent fixture now?!!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi Rachel, I'm having the same symptoms as exactly yours. but hv bn to my doc and he placed me on chest xray for front and left lateral but came normal and clear, also placed on CBC test and came back ok. he actually told me there is nothing to worry about but to me am not calmed by that. recently I had severe chest n back pain but relieved with Ibrufen400g. but d deep breath is worrisome.

• Posted

I get chest and arm pain when I get all worked up and get anxiety. It is funny how the brain controls everything. I tell myself that if it was something serious then we would not be able to breathe in a normal and care free way at night. But your are right there is nothing calming about the situation. When it comes to breathing it is a very frightening and becomes a vicious cycle. 
  • Posted

Zoloft really helped me. 
    • Posted

Hi, Amy, pls what is Zoloft? and do you mean its relieved you of this symptoms of not able to take Deep breath? pls kindly enlighten me about this and is there any side effect to this?
    • Posted

Hi. So what is that that you take. My anxiety takes a toll on my digestive system to and causes a lot of heart burn and acid I am on pills for that also. Is your breathing issues due to anxiety for you?? Thanks
    • Posted

Zoloft helped with anxiety and the occasional panic attack.  Probably would help with the breathing if it's related.  Have you tried some of the breathing exercises that I have seen discussed for people with similar issues? 

• Posted

Hi, you have been suffering for 19 years.. I am the same like you.. I always need to take deep breath or yawn to get oxygen..I have this problem since 17 and now I am 36... I hope to get rid of this... let me know if you have found any solution... do you think yours is silent acid reflux?

My symptoms is, my breathing stuck when my stomach feel bloated, after gas came out, I feel released... sometimes breathing stuck until like about to die...

• Posted

hiya racheal i get this and have had this for nearly 15 years... i yawn excessively to try go deeper for a better breath if that makes sense!

rest assured it calms me down... i focus so much on gettin this breath i forget am paniking... and once i get deep enough its gone .. vicious circle

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I’ve made an account on this website so I can post about my experiences and hope to help you and anyone else who may ever ready this; I’m 19 years old, overweight, but a college football player who stays in pretty good shape, I never thought anxiety would be a problem for me but I was having all types of symptoms such as feeling out of it, muscle twitches, and sleeping problems, This is the one that sent me over the edge. I started feeling like I couldn’t get a deep breath no matter what, and I was constantly getting the urge to yawn! It’s important to realize that I’m sort of a hypochondriac so I googled my symptoms and it got much worse, turns out I have underlying anxiety from things I don’t ever realize! One day I decided to go to the DR, he checked my lungs and heart and said everything is totally normal, placed me on 5mg of lexapro, I’m three days in and feel amazing. The breathing is mostly completely normal and I feel great, when I do have the urge and can’t get a deep breath I tell myself it’s simply my brain and try to relax, I do the following breathing technique about three times in a row and then try for a deep breath which normally works 

7 second in through the nose

11 our through the mouth with clenched lips. 

For anyone reading this please realize you are okay.. this is only temporary and it CAN be fixed. It’s just the anxiety trying to control your life.. hope this helps people who were in the same situation as me 

• Posted

Hi there I’m going throu the same thing yawining all day and deep breathing all day it send me into a panic attack and it gets to the point I feel like passing out then after I freak out and cry it kinda goes away I’m freaking out 
    • Posted

Reading your post is like reading a history of my life.  I've had this since I was a young child but didn't have a clue as what it was and why it was happening to me.  I was hospitalized as a child and my had all kinds of tests on my lungs, blood, chest x-rays, etc.  All tests results were normal.  The condition subsided for long periods then returned for reasons unknown to me.  After I married and had a family, I began having these horrible symptoms again.  I really thought I was going crazy and would end up in the Naval Hospital ER where they ran tests on my blood gases, heart, chest x-rays for lungs, etc.  After several rounds of this, one savvy ER doctor told me my symptoms were not based on medical condition, and suggested I see a psychologist.  I felt somewhat insulted but my fear and anxiety outweighed everything.  I cried a lot and continued in the cycle of deep breathing to catch a breath, constant yawning, etc.  Then one day after having another one of these anxiety/panic attacks, I decided to look for a psychologist.  I found one who specialized in agorraphobia. I accepted his diagnosis because I had developed phobias of avoiding places where I had experienced anxiety/panic episodes.  He used cognitive behavior therapy, relaxation techniques, a series of tapes (had to purchase), etc. I did not take any medication.  The CBT, tapes, relaxation techniques really helped me and I thought I was CURED. Fast forward 110-15 years and I was back at square one.  I was working in a very demanding, high-stress managerial position, managing a household alone because my husband was a Naval Officer who was constantly going out to sea for 7-8 months at a time.  In addition, I was raising two sons, one of whom was a teen.  The anxiety, panic, deep breathing, constant yawning, trouble sleeping, stomach/intestinal issues, etc.  This time, I sought and found a wonderful, female counselor who specialized in anxiety/panic disorders.  She put me in touch with a psychiatrist who placed me on  Prozac which really helped with the symptoms while my sessions with the Psychologist addressed the underlying issues.  I got better over a period of several months and continued on the medication for about 2 years, then weaned off the med, with the approval of my psychiatrist.  I saw the Counselor for almost a year then she said I didn't need to see her anymore.  Again, I thought I was cured.  Now, here I am again about 10 years later struggling with the same old symptoms.  I have come to realize that times of great stress give rise to the return of my symptoms.  My psychiatrist has since retired and my old counselor is not taking new patients at this time, so I'm having to start with new psychiatrist and a new Counselor.  My symptoms were so bad, I went to my family doctor who prescribed something for me to sleep and help ease the anxiety until I could see the new psychiatrist and Counselor.  I'll see the psychiatrist tomorrow and have an appointment with the Counselor next month. 

Sorry this is soooo long, I just wanted you to know that I now feel connected to others who have had my same experiences which gives me immeasurable hope going forward.  Thanks to everyone for your honesty and for sharing your experiences.  I know I have work to do to get to the root of my anxiety and fear, but I'm ready to do my work.  Sending you all light as we walk this path together!   

• Posted

I suffered from panic attacks when I was a child and didn't even really tell anyone I was having them.  I didn't understand or have the words.  There is so much help out there now than when I was young.  There are many tips I can share -  1.  Your thoughts determine  how you feel.  So don't obsess and worry about the fear that causes the attacks.   You can control them by calming your mind.  Use breathing techniques, try the Calm app, and just stop your mind when you find yourself worrying and fretting about the anxiety. All this does is give you anxiety.  

Zoloft really helped me too!   But you did have some control over using  various techniques you should try first.

• Posted

This is literally word for word the way I feel everyday also my main fear at the moment is I have copd which is just a terrible thought to have it's horrifying I'm constantly gasping for a deep breath to fully expand my lungs and its been going on a week it's been a non stop feeling I've actually been to the ER twice over it because it makes u feel like something is terribly wrong if its caused by anxiety it is the single most horrible anxiety symptom I've ever felt in all my years of having health anxiety it's impossible to think you are healthy when all day everyday u feel like your lungs are not working properly...

• Posted

I, too, thought I had a lung or heart disease.  However, I was diaagnosed with anxiety and mild depression.  I am on an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant combination SSRI medication.  Specifically, I am on generic Lexapro, generic for antivan (very low dose 1mg) and generic for Abilify.  This combination halted the anxiety/panic attacks and the air hunger symptoms have ceased completely.  I'm not recommending or suggesting you take these same meds, but this is what my doctor prescribed after talking to me, discussing my symptoms and talking through what works and what was not working.  I feel like my old self again.  I should mention that I am also seeing a licensed counselor to get to the root cause of my anxiety and address it.  I understand what a struggle it is to have air hunger, anxiety/panic attacks, and depression -- all at the same time.  I tell you this to give you hope that relief is possible.  Talk to you doctor, find a good counselor, and give the medicine time to work.  I forgot to mention that I visited a hospital Emergency Room and had all kinds of tests to the tune of $10,000 all which came back negative.  It was then I knew my problem involved issues with possible imbalances in my brain chemicals.  I hope this sharing of information helps you. Sending you hope, blessings and light.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.