Deep Laceration Questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

First of all, hello, I am new to this forum, so if anything is posted that was not allowed, I apologize, and will remove this post.

Last night i had a self mutilation incident. Before I go on, I want to advise that I am not currently suicidal, nor have I ever been. It has been years since I have hurt myself. I have been off of my antidepressants for about a year, per my own decision, and have already made an appointment with my psychiatrist. 

Onto the injury. It happened last night around 10 o'clock, and it is now 4 PM the next day. I have had lacerations in the past which should of had stitches, but i chose not to visit urgent care, and they managed to heal on their own (obviously with wide ugly scarring); however, this cut seems to be a bit deeper. The fat/muscle tissue below is exposed, and seems to have swelled up and is even protruding from my skin. I can also see a vein which is exposed. The cut has stayed open, but the bleeding has mostly seceded. Slow leakage only.

The cut was cleaned with antiseptic wipes and bandaged up. The razor was also unused and clean. I also removed the bandages once today to clean the wound again, and put them back on. 

My questions:

- Have I waited to long to have the laceration stitched? Some research has shown me there is a time frame, and that the wound will begin to heal from the inside, although i don't see any actual healing other than the fat/muscle tissues puffing up and protruding. I've also read that they may refuse to close the wound due to possible bacteria.

- If I don't get stitches, as I haven't in the past, will it still heal on it's own? I understand there will be major scarring, but will it still heal as the others did? If so, how long would that take? I understand that i reap what i sow, and have to deal with the consequences, but if this wound will take significantly longer to heal, it will obviously inhibit my ability to do a lot of things.

- With the above stated, even if they were able to stitch, am i able to opt out of getting stitches, or should stitches be the only option?

If you've even read this far, I appreciate it. I didn't upload pictures simply because i'm unaware of rules on graphic content, and the laceration is pretty gruesome. 

-Shaun

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

In the first place what the f*** is wrong with you? I feel your pain. Apply hydrogen peroxide. Now! Go to the doctor if you can afford it. For swallowing keep your toes above your nose. I've been through hell I know what I'm talking about

• Posted

Hi Shaun,  I don't know if you have waited too long to get stitches or not.  I think you are correct that healing starts right away and from the inside.  Have you been to a doctor yet?  They would be able to answer your questions and what other options that are available.  Since you have cared for yourself in the past it sounds like you have done what is needed for home care with antiseptics and bandages.  If you notice changes that would indicate infection then you should see a doctor asap.  Good luck with your choice.  I'm glad that you have already made an appointment with your psychiatrist to help with whatever came up that made you revert back to hurting yourself after such a long period of dealing in better ways.  My son is also a cutter.  His scars are still evident after around 10 years without cutting.  My fingers are crossed for you and for my son.  I can tell from your post that you are very bright and very thoughtful about the feelings of others.  Now you must think well about yourself because you are more important than anyone else.  My best to you, dev's mom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.