Defame thawing?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had the dexamethadone injections into the ear? If so results side effects etc???

Thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I've had a lot of success with the dexamethasone injections.  For me, they have only eliminated the vertigo and the dizzy "icky" feelings.  I still have fluctuating hearing loss and tinnitus in my bad ear.  I had 3 perfect months after my first series, but then I caught the flu and pneumonia, and  ignored the persistent fullness and increased tinnitus that was evolving.  As a result, my vertigo returned.  I'm currently undergoing another series of injections, and am hopeful that it will soon do the trick.  For me, it isn't a quick fix, but it's much more effective than conservative measures.  

I've experienced no side effects whatsoever from the injections.  The process is quite straight forward:  First, they numb the ear drum with some sort of local anesthetic cream.  Twenty minutes later, the cream is vacuumed out, and they inject the dexamethasone.  I feel heat when the dexamethasone is injected, and occasionally is extends to under my jaw — This is supposed to be due to nerve irritation.  Immediately after the injection, I have about 3 seconds of dizziness, and then I'm fine.  They help you lie on your side with the bad ear up, for ten minutes.  That's it — the entire procedure.  I've always driven myself home without a problem.

The good thing about dexamethasone injections is that they do no harm.  There's always a chance they won't help, but they can't do any harm.  There is no limit on the number of injections that they will administer (at 4 week intervals.) That's not the case with Gentamycin injections, 

So, I have the injections, and I always have my rescue meds with me, should I experience any break through symptoms.

Best of luck to you!

J-

• Posted

Thanks wjat rescue meds do you use? I have paid for the prediction and waiting it to arrive for the first injection I've decided I can live with the noise and fullness of the dizziness goes away I don't get it very often but when I do it's usually last about 4 weeks on and off

• Posted

My rescue meds are Meclazine, Clonazepam, and Glycopyrrolate.  The moment I feel any weirdness or dizziness...I pop one of each, chew them, and follow with water.  They work much faster when I chew them. 

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

I do the meclazine I'll have to try the other two and I think my running too much brings on my dizziness I run daily and when hot out I find myself getting dizzy some hours later

• Posted

Yeah...I'm not surprised.  I don't exactly understand the physiology of it, but I can do about half the workout I used to do, pre-MD.  Perhaps the vestibular system, being inflamed/vert sensitive, just can't take the challenge of the bobbing up and down.  I don't know...but I'm definitely experiencing the same thing, and it bums me out. 

Hope you feel better soon.

J-

• Posted

Let me know if the dexamethisone injections work for you?

They didn't help me at all.

I had to go to the Gentamicin injection. And so far, so good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.