Define heavy lifting?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hernia surgery next week. Will mowing the lawn and putting dustbins out be heavy lifting? Obviously will take at least a week off and not planning to put heavy objects in the bins. Just wondering about what would be regarded as "heavy"

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would hold off mowing the lawn and putting dustbins out for at least a month.
  • Posted

I agree with Phentis. Just had hernia repair on May 11th and doctor did not release me to go back to my shop till June 7th and was reluctant then. Nothing to lift over 10 pounds in weight...so if those bin itmes weigh more theyr are too heavy. As far as completely being healed? A year.
  • Posted

Yes....don't.....unless you want to go back for more surgery.  Ask your doctor.  Also there are different kinds of hernia surgery.  Mine was incesional.  I wasn't to lift anything over 15 lbs for 2 months.  This is after a hernia came back after my first surgery.  

• Posted

Hi, I agree with everyone elses comments. Do not do it. It will not be worth going through it all again and it will be much worse if the hernia recurrent. Let your body heal at least4- 6 weeks before you lift or push anythiing over 1o pounds. Even then the wound may look fine on the outside, but tissues internally still healing and not as strong as they used to be.
  • Posted

When I had an inguinal hernia repaired, I was told "nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks". I tried to follow that advice, but when I could'nt, I at least tried to use correct lifting form, posture, and technique. You'll probably be able to tell when you can cautiously increase your personal limits.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I will obey! Funny how when you cannot do things you don't particularly like you wish you could still do them.

• Posted

Yes, Grandpa, I was kind of confused why you were pushing to do those chores!  Enjoy the rest.
  • Posted

Started mowing again after 4 weeks. All pain and discomfort had gone by then. Absolutely fine right now.
    • Posted

I am so glad to hear this.  If you do get a little pain, back off of what you are doing.  It is still quite early.  Enjoy getting back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.