Degenerative disc disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have posted on the forums before. I suffer with degenerative disc disease which is affecting most of my spine. In my neck it is affecting c1/c2, c2/c3, c3/c4, c4/c5, c5/c6, c6/ c7, t1, and t2. In my lumber spine quite a few discs have herniated making my back pain unbearable. I also suffer with atrial fibrillation and I am going for an angiography on 23rd of this month.

I take a ton of medication but it will take me all evening to list everything.

I recently put in a claim for ESA but didn't get it as I didn't score any points. I was in hospital before we got the letter, after having sepsis. When I eventually came out of hospital, I was so weak, I was fit for nothing

My sister works for DWP, so she wrote a letter for me, and sent off, with as information as I had, including a letter from my GP saying that I would not be fit for work. I was using 2 crutches before I went into hospital, but now I am finding it very difficult, and need a wheelchair.

My husband works so hard having to look after me, I don't know what I would do if ever anything happened to him.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you really want to work, being in a wheelchair will make you attractive to a big employer because you will fill their quota. I know several people who held very good jobs from a wheelchair so it's not a barrier to employment, best of luck 

• Posted

Hello, I have similar conditions however its all limited to my lower spine. I was working when I first injured my back, so I was on occupational sick pay for almost a year. I applied for, and got PIP. When sick pay ended I applied for ESA and sent a report of my assessment from PIP. They put me in the support category and here I gave stayed stuck for over 3 years now. I have tried to get a job, but due to complications i have bladder and bowel difficultie, as well as lack of mobility and significant pain.

My advice would be to try again using an advice agency like CAB. Also apply for pip.

• Posted

You might also want to post in the back forum as they may be able to give you additional information in that group. Since your problems listed seem to be predominantly back related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.