Degenerative disc disease, anyone got symptoms like mine???

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi, I've had back ache to a greater or lesser extent for about 2 years. An MRI scan showed degenerative disc disease (which I know is very common in people of my age).

However the pain doesn't feel as though it's in my spine! the actual pain is on each side of the spine, sometimes as far out to the side as my hips.

I'm incredibly stiff particularly first thing in the morning, and I get pain in bed at night and sitting still but it goes off pretty much completely walking about. I did a walking holiday this summer and it was fine! It hurts a lot to lift things though, especially from off the floor. Does anyone else have symptoms like these? Thanks v much.

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

the pain you describe corresponds precisely to mine. I have suffered from lower back pain for many years, but normally I would have cycles of pain lasting for no more than 2-3 weeks. But the latest one starting in June isn't going away. Same pain as yours, same area and way of manifesting. It spreads through both sides of the spine. Also I have cervical pain which often causes headaches.

I have seen many osteopaths and had chiropractic treatments in the past. These therapists never suggested scans, nor even mentioned DDD.

Would you suggest to get some scans done? Is MRI scan better?

I desperately need to find out real causes of my pain.

I hope you have found an helpful therapy. I am looking into food medicine, salt tissues and exercise.

Thank you

kat

• Posted

Yes, I have same condition from last 15 months but I have pain only one side of the spine.
    • Posted

My pain is also on only one side of my spine..which is odd. You would think that since the disc is in the center of your back that the pain would radiate to both sides..I found that medicated litocane patches work wonders. They numb your back. Not talking about store bought. I'm talking about calling your dr and getting prescription litocane patches. I couldn't work without them!

• Posted

Hi Jackie! Many of the others (including myself) in this discussion are right on the money when they describe the symptoms of DDD. I hate that this disease is untreatable. It can only be maintained. However, there are new procedures, such as one in particular, in which they inject a "gel" like substance into the disc(s) to rehydrate the disc and make it more functional. It's something you can at least look into. I myself constantly wake up stiff as a board, therefore, I do about 30

Minutes worth of stretching each day..also, it is very important to cut down on bad sugars(eat more healthy), practice good posture, and stay hydrated..also, try not to lay or sit for most of the day, it makes it worse. My dr and chiropractor also told me to stretch my hamstrings regularly and become more flexible..the best way to do this is to lie on your back(in your bed) take a belt or a physical therapy rubber band, stretch your leg straight up in the air(comfortably of course) and put the belt/band over your foot and stretch each leg for about 30 seconds each. You can also slightly extend your leg(stretch it more) during the 30 seconds as it loosens a bit. So basically. Healthy diet(get a blender) eat kale, spinach, fruits, and natural sugars. Also, if you are a smoker, DDD is only going to get worse. All of this info I just provided is a paraphrase from 2 dr's and a great chiropractor of mine..which remind me, I got a lot more relief from my chiropractor vs a dr. You can go 1 time a month for re-alignment and also even try acupuncture. Hope this helps! My pain has subsided a bit but not much. It's just something you have to live with and maintain!

• Posted

Also, I failed to mention. I called my dr and got some prescription litocane patches. And they absolutely work wonders. It fills like your getting a novicane shot on the area in which you put the patch(s). they generally work for about 12 hrs. I pilled one of one day at the 7 hr mark and I touched my back with my hand. And I had absolutely no feeling in my back where the patches were applied. Really they do help with the pain! Your dr should call in what they call medicated 5% litocane patches. Hope this helps as well. 
  • Posted

my pain is a lot like yours I went to the dr. for hip pain, my hip was ok.  My pain hurts the most when setting/driving for a long period of time and at night also.  Cold feels the best when applied to my lower back.  I get steroid injections ever 3 months, I am pretty good for about 45 to 50 days.  Then I hurt and hurt bad, it goes down my leg to my knee, and ankle.  I hate to take pain drugs, but sometimes I have to.  
  • Posted

I get back pain standing. Plus when I lift. Hoping I can get an MRI. Not happy with hospital so far. I take co codimol mostly.
  • Posted

Hi, I've been suffering for a number of years now, but only found out what the condition was DDD. Ive got the same symptom as you Jackie. As i was working in a nursery it only got worse. I then was medically discharged. Struggling to sleep and painful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.