DEGENERATIVE L4/5 DISC PROTRUSION

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I have a  not had any surgery yet however am under the surgeon, they seem to be avoiding surgery option at all costs, I have had every treatment I could possibly have now other than an operation. I need some advice.

I am desperate for surgery as the pain is horrid, even with an excessive amount of tablets, I have had a nerve root block, which has now totally worn off but still have a 4 week wait to see the surgeon again. Any advice?

How long do you have to stay in hospital for post surgery? And what is the after care, recovery like?

Any advice would be great!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've just had an l4/5 micro discectomy (24th june) and know how you feel. I tried everything. Have done for years but it got to the point I had to basically demand surgery. They didn't want to perform it due to me only being 27 and having 2 herniated discs and 2 rotting discs but I couldn't go on any longer.

I had nerve root blocks on 5/5/2015 and they lasted 6 days. I then didn't have an appointment until 8 weeks after so I called up and asked for it to be moved forward. I got in on 1/6/15 & told the surgeon that the operation was my last resort. I had my pre op assessment a week or so later then got a cancellation for the 24th June - so before what would have been my 8 week check up.

I am recovering quite well but due to other health problems (joint hypermobility syndrome ) I am a little slower than a normal person would recover. You are looking at 4-6 weeks if healthy.

Hope that helps.

I suggest you call for an earlier appointment smile

• Posted

Thanks for replying!

I was shocked when they offered me an appointment (6th august) because the nurse said I can see the surgeon in 4 weeks, but when offered it was 6 weeks. I did request an earlier appointment because I felt the nerve block was a waste of time, but the consultant I am seeing, the clinics he offers are all full - it seems he is in high demand! I suppose I best just keep bugging them!

Thanks

• Posted

Hi I had the same surgery I was up and about within the hour ok for a few days then slowly went down hill had to plea for another scan it had reherniated had surgery again I've never been right since regards peter
    • Posted

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I know there are a lot of risks with the surgery. But nothing is working, I can't even drive, or even put my own socks on! It's been 18 months now, such a pain in the backside, literally
  • Posted

Hi if I ever had the chance not to have surgery I would definitely pass I have been destroyed by it carry on with alternative medicine please avoid the knife at all costs regards peter
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm 11 weeks tomorrow post op, I stayed in 1 night and can honestly say I've not had any painkillers since that day, I had instant relief, I was up and walking 3 hours after op with no leg/back or nerve pain.

Recovery is normally 4/6 weeks mine ended up being 6/8 because disc was completely removed as too badly damaged. As long as you take it easy and don't push yourself, no lifting, twisting or bending for a while you should be ok.

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Hi I'm 7 weeks post operative following a two level PLIF and decompression. I had been receiving regular steroid injections and epidurals for 7 years, until last year when the orthopaedic surgeon decided that I needed the operation. 

I was only in for one night, woke up from the operation with no sciatic pain and within a week was mobilising without crutches and not needing any pain relief. 

i have just gone back to work and walk 5k-10k per day plus swim 3 times a week. I sleep well and still don't need any pain relief. 

I didn't have any after care and won't see my surgeon for another 3 weeks but I could see my GP if I needed to. 

It's the best feeling in the world to be pain free. 

When you see your surgeon next, ask for the operation. 

• Posted

Thanks Angie, your reply gives me some hope! I will be making sure when I next see him the operation is my option, thanks
  • Posted

Hi i had a nerve root block under ct guidence 4 wks ago and luckly for me it seems to have worked I AM STILL ON ALL MEDICATION DUE TO GO TO CHRONICPAIN CLINIC ON MON TO REDUCE SOME as still on slow release morphine too,How long did urs last for.

sorry to hear you are in so much pain amd hope you get your surgery.

thanks Sue

• Posted

I had about a weeks reduction to the worst pain but then it wore off, I know it works very different for everyone so it might work for you, I hope it does
  • Posted

Hi

I have had surgery (Laminectomy) to decompress spinal Cord due to bulging disc at T10-T11- middle part of the back( very unusuals disc to go) just under 3 weeks ago.

First night post operation in extreme pain could not move but thereafter recovery was rapid, left hospital after 2 days and have been totally mobile and walking with no issues (still have nerve sensations in legs as before op. but this can take weeks or months to improve- if at all). Was on pain medication for 2 weeks but eased off most of those now, so my recovery post op. has been fantastic - but I was relatively fit before the op. which helps.

If I was to give you one bit of advice do your homework on Surgeons - there are the good and then there is the "rest". 

Any other help you want and I can give I hapily will do so- I know you are in a scary and painful place the only way to progress things is to take contol and demand referral.

• Posted

Doing homework on surgeons - how would you suggest doing this?

I haven't been offered any stronger pain killers or anything, I've kind of just been put to the side to cope and wait!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.